Rectifier Solo 100 Head, how to get THAT sound?

Curse9

Jun 10, 2008
Germany
Hi folks,

as you know i bought a used Rectifier. I've postet the pics in this forum. What do you guys do to get that awesome metal tone? The amp is very versatile. I'm able to switch vacuum tubes and silicon tubes and push the button for a red and a orange channel. I need a clean channel too. So i have to use the kick switch.
For a solo part i activate my tubescreamer to get a little bit more gain from the amp.

Please post some ideas how do you get a satisfying tone out of it.

A lot of people have posted settings and walkthroughs on getting great tone through rectos. Search for Metaltastic's threads (you'd be using the orange channel if you have a 3 channel one) or the red channel on a 2.

Good Guitar (with preferably active pickups)->Tubescreamer (gain 9:00, tone and level noon)->Recto Orange Channel Modern Silicon Diodes (clockface settings) Gain 2:00, Bass 9:30, Mids 9:00, Treble 11:30, Presence 12:30, Master 2:00

Put it through a cab with vintage 30's and you'll be in good shape.

A lot of people have posted settings and walkthroughs on getting great tone through rectos. Search for Metaltastic's threads (you'd be using the orange channel if you have a 3 channel one) or the red channel on a 2.

Good Guitar (with preferably active pickups)->Tubescreamer (gain 9:00, tone and level noon)->Recto Orange Channel Modern Silicon Diodes (clockface settings) Gain 2:00, Bass 9:30, Mids 9:00, Treble 11:30, Presence 12:30, Master 2:00

Put it through a cab with vintage 30's and you'll be in good shape.

Yep! Those settings look good, I presonally use more bass when tracking guitars to get that low end growl in there.

Yeah, an overdrive pedal like the Ibanez TS808/TS9, the Maxon OD808 (my favourite) etc. is, at least for me, a must-have pedal when wanting to get that amazing metal tone out of a Recto.

My settings are something like:

Orange channel, modern mode, bold mode, diodes

bass: 12o'clock
mids: 11o'clock
treble: 11o'clock

presence: 1o'clock
gain: 12o'clock

To my ears, the Recto sounds best when teamed up with a Mesa Recto Standard 4x12".

Having never played a 3-channel, I can't be certain my 2 ch. modern mode settings will translate exactly, but yeah, it took me awhile to realize that keeping the treble just under 12:00 (11:30 is where I really like) is the perfect balance, cuz any higher and you get an epic beehive sound which also has the effect of making the mids beneath it sound a bit "hollow". Granted, this is only when you have the gain at a real metal amount of saturation; with lower gain settings I'd probably have the treble higher, but lower gain settings are for fags, so that's out :lol: (YES I'M JOKING - mostly :D)

Besides that, I keep the mids at like 9:30, bass around 10:30, and presence 11:30-12:00 - my understanding of the 3 channel Rectifiers is that the orange and red channels are identical except for the presence knob (this is from the manual), where 9:00 on the red channel = around 2:00 on the orange (though you can call Mesa and order either presence pot to convert one channel into a clone of the other). Good luck! And here's the best tone I've been able to get out of my 2 ch. through Recto Standard 4x12 (big +1 to Tomir on them being a match made in heaven :kickass: ) using the above settings!

@Metaltastic
Just have to say it at this point: Your tone example sounds so extremely f'king great to me... unbelievable. :worship:
Downloading it and hearing it in an infinite loop in my car got me some serious GASeritis:erk:. These amps are just tooo expensive over here.
My only hope is that I get some useful tone out of my old Studio Preamp.