circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Red Sparowes/Gregor Samsa – Split
Robotic Empire – ROBO-044 – May 23rd, 2006
By Jason Jordan

redsparowesgregorsamsa.jpg

There are certain things in life that are always in high demand, some of those being the latest miracle diet drugs, penis enlargement products, and limited edition vinyl. So due to public outcry, Robotic Empire decided to re-release the Red Sparowes/Gregor Samsa Split on…CD. Uh, what? Yeah, for those who simply want the four songs and aren’t concerned with collecting the vinyl version, this tasteful package will suit them just fine. However, because this is a needless product when held up to the light emanating from At the Soundless Dawn and 55:12, I’ll urge casual fans to save their money for other investments.

Each group presents two songs during their respective halves of Split, and Red Sparowes kick the ceremony off with “I Saw the Sky in the North Open to the Ground and Fire Poured Out,” which is a good-yet-unexciting tune that was originally featured as a Japanese bonus track. I actually laughed out loud when I first heard “Buildings Began to Stretch Wide Across the Sky, and the Air Filled with a Reddish Glow (Demo)” – a magnificent song in its own right – because the finished version sounds much, much better. Though the songwriting is excellent, the production is lacking and the musicians seem less confident overall – as if they are less sure of themselves. Still, the center of attention should be the unabashed quality of the songwriting, and how both songs pan out.

Taking their name from the main character of Kafka’s “The Metamorphosis,” Gregor Samsa bat cleanup, and offer two post-rock numbers – namely, “Young & Old / Divine Longing” and “Rock Song.” Unlike Red Sparowes, the six-piece in question are not instrumental, but much of their material does opt for the vocal-free approach. The string arrangements are pure class, the end of “Young & Old / Diving Longing” – the first half gracing 55:12 – could accompany a sad, heart-wrenching film, while the segue into “Rock Song” paves the way for some form of uplifting instrumentation. And yes, “Rock Song” is delicate, majestic, and inspirational.

Yet, despite my careful, measured extolling of Red Sparowes and Gregor Samsa, it’s not in the casual listener’s best interest to rush to the nearest post-rock outlet store and shell out money for this. The songs are pretty good, the artwork is nice, and the 28 minutes suffice for length, but the priority releases are the respective debuts of each band. Or, if you already own ‘em, start stuffing cash under your mattress for Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun – the upcoming RS sophomore installment. Judging by AtSD – I rated it the fourth best album of 2005 – the new one is gonna smoke, all elegantly like. This, however, does not.

6/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Red Sparowes Website
Official Gregor Samsa Website
Official Robotic Empire Website