Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Redemption – Redemption
Sensory Records – SR3018 – 2003
By Russell Garwood

Redemption is an impressive progressive metal outfit, heavily influenced by the likes of Dream Theater and Fates Warning. The largely power metal-based sound is dark much of the time, and the meandering compositions hold your interest with ease. Featuring singer Rick Mythiasin of Steel Prophet and Taraxacum, Symphony X’s Jason Rullo on drums, and guitarist Bernie Versailles (Fates Warning, Agent Steel) Redemption is an impressive collaboration, even more so when you consider the fact that for the man behind the music, Nick Van Dyk (guitars, bass, keyboards, backing vocals) this is a debut project.

The eight track album comprises one four part saga – Desperation, which is based on Stephen King’s similarly titled novel; three standalone, lengthy tracks, "Nocturnal", "Window To Space" and "As I lay Dying"; and one epic twenty-four minute journey "Something Wicked This Way Comes"(based on Ray Bradbury’s book of the same name). Guest appearances stand as Fates Warning’s Ray Alder, who sings on Desperation Part II (as well as producing the album), Michael Romeo from Symphony X, who was responsible for the orchestration on Desperation Parts I and IV, and Mark Zonder (Fates Warning), who provides drums for one track.

Overall, "Redemption" is an impressive album, which fans of progressive metal will appreciate greatly. The music is consistently well-written – which it needs to be to maintain your interest for a 24 minute track - and while similar in many respects to a lot of prog metal, has enough differences to give it individuality. A good debut, and a band which I look forward to hearing more from.