Redemption - The Fullness of Time

Joe-×

New Metal Member
Feb 7, 2005
Ohio
Very impressive.

It's progressive METAL with heavy duty riffs, soaring vocals, and impeccable production.

The excellent vocals were to be expected. He's in full-on Alder mode. You know what I'm talking about. I know some people have been slightly less than happy with the vocals on the recent FW output - but this one is guaranteed to please. He's got that cool one syllable as multiple syllables / notes thing going on. I counted seven on the "end" of Sapphire. Awesome.

The song-writing is vastly improved. The first album tried too hard to cram too many words and ideas into songs. These songs are relatively compact (we are talking about prog metal), catchy, and incredibly soul-baring.

I liked the preview track, Threads, quite a bit, but the shiny gem on this album is Sapphire. Gut-wrenching. Powerful. Soulful. Majestic. Definitely the epic tune of the year.

Highly recommended!

Joe

Damn dude, you're spreading this around. This is the third forum I've found you post this same message. Well, I'm sure I will agree with you, just as soon as I get a copy.

Joe-× said:
The excellent vocals were to be expected. He's in full-on Alder mode. You know what I'm talking about.

SWEET!!! I cannot wait for my copy to arrive!

Come on Glenn, we need a Redemption Sunday at this year's Progpower. I'll buy the bagels, donuts and coffee!

BenMech said:
Yep. The Fullness of Time is one deeply deeply impressive DEBUT album (I'm gonna call the s/t a learning curve demo).

From what I know, "Sapphire" refers to a specific location (in Las Vegas), and a specific person. It's incredibly heart wrenching. Different intent, but possibly this year's A Trace of Blood, being a gorgeously crafted song about beauty turned to pools of razors soaked in Hydrochloric acid
i disagree. their debut album was great imo, and even if you didn't like it, it is an official release so in no way can you call this a "debut"

General Zod said:
As for redemption, their debut wasn't very impressive. It seemed to spend a whole lot of time going nowhere. That being said, I hold out hope that the new one will be good.

Zod

Have to disagree with you here...I thought the debut was excellent (esp. "Something Wicked This Way Comes"), but opinions are opinions, of course. I think there's no doubt that The Fullness of Time is *WAY* better, though, so hopefully you'll like it more.

Alder's never sounded better, IMHO, and the songwriting's even better, the performance and production are also better on this disc...and Chris Quirante (sp?) is a MONSTER on drums!! It's on my short list for one of the best CDs of the year, so far....

Craig

sccaldwell said:
I think there's no doubt that The Fullness of Time is *WAY* better, though, so hopefully you'll like it more.
I hope so. I really enjoy Prog Metal, but there seems to be a real lack of quality Prog Metal out there. Much of it is either way too over the top (Spiral Architect) or drifts towards Prog Rock.

sccaldwell said:
Alder's never sounded better, IMHO, and the songwriting's even better, the performance and production are also better on this disc...and Chris Quirante (sp?) is a MONSTER on drums!! It's on my short list for one of the best CDs of the year, so far....
Cool. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Zod

For anyone who was disapointed by recent releases by Fates Warning or even Dream Theater this release should give you hope. This is everything I has hoped to hear from Fates after Perfect Symetry. I don't mean to say that Redemption sound like Fates Warning but with Alder on vocals its natural to make some type of comparison. Anyway, this is one of the best CD's I've bought in years. Very progressive, very technical, plenty of originality and Ray Alder at the top of his game.

STRONGARM said:
For anyone who was disapointed by recent releases by Fates Warning or even Dream Theater this release should give you hope.
And what if we actually LOVED the new Fates Warning and DT releases? Am I gonna hate the new Redemption now? :Spin:

Nick can do no wrong. He's an amazing musician, so I'm glad I'll be adding another masterful disc to my collection.

Joe-× said:
Very impressive.

The song-writing is vastly improved. The first album tried too hard to cram too many words and ideas into songs. These songs are relatively compact (we are talking about prog metal), catchy, and incredibly soul-baring.

Joe

Great review dude !! I remember people bitching about the vocals on the first release, but it wasn't the vocalist and rather the writing style on the first release. Part II sounded so close to the rest of the work, as far as the way the vocals had to be delivered, I couldn't tell a difference between Alder and Mythiasin. That song sounded like it had the same vocalist as the other songs.

Bryant

13ShadesofGray said:
I thought X was the pinnacle of Ray's catalog. I was WRONG :)

Oooooooooooh! I should be getting my copy of The Fullness of Time in the mail today or tomorrow. I cannot wait!

Keeping fingers crossed that it's today!

Finally heard the new one, and will be buying it shortly. Huge improvement over the debut, in every aspect. I've only listened to it once, so I can't say how long it will hold my interest, or how deep the songs will get their hooks into me, but I'mvery impressed.

As for the debut, in my opinion, the problem wasn't Rick's vocals. The problem was the songs just weren't that catchy, and didn't seem to flow very well.

Zod

General Zod said:
As for the debut, in my opinion, the problem wasn't Rick's vocals. The problem was the songs just weren't that catchy, and didn't seem to flow very well.

Zod

Great analysis. I didn't know Mythiasin, nor Steel Prophet well before the Redemption CD (I was so pissed at the Vanden Plas cancellation I didn't bother learning "that" band for PPII) but there were some places on that CD where Rick sounded great, the chorus on part III for example. In fact, Part II almost sounded like the same vocalist though it was Alder. The production of the vocals was not very good and the songs were difficult to sing. Rick did not do a bad job though considering the obstacles mentioned.
Rick isn't quite in my top ten or twenty of my fave vocalists, but I think he is in the top 90% range of all the professional metal vocalists out there. He is very talented and average songwriting kept Steel Prophet off the "map" of metal. Rick also has a talent of emulating others better than I may have ever heard. If he made an all cover album, I would buy it, and I don't care for covers typically.

Bryant