Redemption - The Fullness of Time

Fuck! I just heard the first five songs of this album and I totally agree with all the positive reviews so far! This is an excellent album with Ray Alder's warm vocals pushing it way past your average Prog release. The music seems a bit restrained moreso than their first LP and the songs seemed a bit more memorable. High-class musicianship all the way and their are some surprisingly heavy parts as well.

Good shit!!

Redemption's first release didn't do much for me, but this one is doing oh so much more. Sapphire has some really cheesy lyrics, but I love the hell out of it, probably because I'm all too familiar with the subject matter at hand. Most of the other songs are great as well...definitely one of the best albums of the year so far, and the biggest surprise of the year, for me.

Hmm....I had this in my cart for my order but changed it to something else.....looks like I should have gotten it. Oh well.....

Excellent CD.

I had it out on the counter and was going to play a track during this past weekend's WREKage broadcast, but ran out of time since we had some good requests. So, I'll play a track this week. I hope. :D

ok so here it is. heard the new album several times.....

everyone is praising how much of an improvment it is.

i'm not with you guys. i think the first album was better, it had more character and atmosphere. the songs were better written in my opinion. the new album is alright, but i think it gets lost in being "just another metal disc" after a short time. there's nothing really unique or amazing about it.

Well in that case I'm glad I didn't get it........kind of what it sounded like to me from the samples, although unfortunately I couldn't find full songs to make a better informed decision on whether or not to order it.

i love Fates Warning, but yes, for Redemption, i do. lyrically and vocally. more than that though, i thought the first disc had an attitude and melodic progressions that, although drawn out, had a sense of movement and variety. instead, i find the new album to be very much a lot of the same. i liked the song Threads. i liked it a lot, but i wasn't expecting the entire album to be exactly the same, lyrically and musically. it just didn't hold up for me. i thought their debut was deeper and more thought-out, even with its often narrative lyrics.

nvandyk said:
Thanks for listening and posting your thoughts!
Hey Nick, can you comment on what role Ray played in the songwriting process? Did he merely come in and do the vocals, or was he an active participant in the songwriting/lyric writing process?

Also, from an artist's point of view, how do you take "the new disc is much better" comments? Do you see it as a compliment to your growth, an insult to your previous work, or some combination thereof? Thanks.

Zod

General Zod said:
Hey Nick, can you comment on what role Ray played in the songwriting process? Did he merely come in and do the vocals, or was he an active participant in the songwriting/lyric writing process?

This time around, Ray primarily came in and did the vocals. He tweaked a bit of things, but part of the reason that he became involved was that he heard the finished pre-production music and vocal lines and on that basis was excited to be part of it.

As writing commences for another CD, I'm sure he will be more involved. At a minimum, it changes my approach to writing vocal melodies when I know who is going to be involved singing them.

General Zod said:
Also, from an artist's point of view, how do you take "the new disc is much better" comments? Do you see it as a compliment to your growth, an insult to your previous work, or some combination thereof? Thanks.

I think it probably depends on a variety of things, but in this case, and regarding this particular artist and work, I view it as a compliment/validation of my own thoughts on our growth.

I know every artist seems to say "this is our best CD ever!" whenever they release a new album. In this case, while it's convenient from a marketing standpoint, it also happens to be resoundingly true in my opinion.

From my perspective, leaving aside personal preference for a moment...

1. The vocals are empirically better on CD #2. I like Rick's delivery on the first CD but there are areas where it is simply not in tune. The beginning of Nocturnal is an example of something that needed to be fixed so drastically that it sounds like a vocal processor.

2. The production is empirically better on CD #2. I did a fair amount of the mixing and production on the first CD and it was done entirely in protools. Tommy Newton did the mixing on the second CD and it was done through tens of thousands of high-end studio equipment. The two situations are not comparable.

3. The performances are, I think, empirically better on CD #2. I played bass on the first one. I'm not a bass player. I can play the notes well enough, but I don't "think" like a bass player and guitarists who play the bass never do justice to the uniqueness of that instrument. It's not just a guitar with thicker, fewer strings. I have a "real" bass played on CD #2. Jason Rullo is an OUTSTANDING drummer but he didn't even have the vocals on the tracks he wrote so he didn't know when he was playing through a chorus, or a verse, or somewhere he could cut loose. He wrote his parts with one ear tied behind his back, so to speak. Chris didn't have this same limitation, and I think that shows in the creativity of his parts.

I believe I can make these three statements without bashing the first CD, which I still think has a lot of good qualities. I still think the chorus of Desperation II, for example, is pretty cool. And the last section of Something Wicked has a great melody line and a very strong performance by Rick. The question of whether or not the songwriting has improved is a more subjective one, and I wouldn't want to take anything away from either disk or from a listener's enjoyment of it. I have my own opinion on the subject, and I do believe my writing has significantly improved. That's all I will say on it.

The real test of your question will occur when the next CD comes out. I thought Window to Space and Something Wicked had their strong points, but I didn't think either of them were brilliant. Sapphire is, if I say so myself, a pretty damn good song. So I now have an expectation for myself and others that must be met since I have now established a watermark for my own songwriting.

I suppose the bottom line is you better have a thick skin as an artist. It also helps that I don't rely on this for my sole source of livelihood...that may give me a slightly different perspective on it.

Thanks for the question and the opportunity to blather on about it. :)

Best,

Nick

P.S. Somewhere I have a picture that I took with Terence Stamp (in a white dinner jacket no less) at the Cannes Film Festival a few years ago. I looked high and low for it to include it here, but to no avail. :erk:

nvandyk said:
This time around, Ray primarily came in and did the vocals. He tweaked a bit of things, but part of the reason that he became involved was that he heard the finished pre-production music and vocal lines and on that basis was excited to be part of it.
That's kind of what I assumed... thanks for the clarification.

nvandyk said:
As writing commences for another CD, I'm sure he will be more involved. At a minimum, it changes my approach to writing vocal melodies when I know who is going to be involved singing them.
Does it really change that drastically? I would think, that you're style (in respect to melody) is your style, and it's hard to modify based on who will sing the melody.

nvandyk said:
Thanks for the question and the opportunity to blather on about it. :)
Thanks for the detailed response. And again, congrats on the new disc, you have good reason to be proud.

Zod

Can you believe I'm still waiting for it to arrive? I'm beginning to think my mail carrier has made off with it and is cranking it full blast in their little delivery truck. Sort of sounds like a Seinfeld episode doesn't it?

Sure hope I get it soon, I hate being late to the party (ha ha).

General Zod said:
Does it really change that drastically? I would think, that you're style (in respect to melody) is your style, and it's hard to modify based on who will sing the melody.

My style is my style, but there are ways to conform it a bit to suit a singer's preferred phrasing, the range in which he or she wants to work, etc. Ray, for example, is much more legato in his vocal delivery than Rick. That calls for fewer words (one of my issues...I am getting better, though, honest!). I also know he hates major keys...which is an issue because I have a song now that has a chorus in a major key that I'm gonna have to change. :)

Thanks again for your interest and kind words! You're a picky dude, if memory serves, so that makes it even more meaningful. :)

nvandyk said:
My style is my style, but there are ways to conform it a bit to suit a singer's preferred phrasing, the range in which he or she wants to work, etc. Ray, for example, is much more legato in his vocal delivery than Rick. That calls for fewer words (one of my issues...I am getting better, though, honest!). I also know he hates major keys...which is an issue because I have a song now that has a chorus in a major key that I'm gonna have to change. :)
That's quite interesting.

nvandyk said:
Thanks again for your interest and kind words! You're a picky dude, if memory serves, so that makes it even more meaningful. :)
I certainly can be. Thanks again for the detailed answer, I appreciate it.

Zod

Barking Pumpkin said:
...hates major keys?

Outside of power metal, there's precious little aggressively music written in major keys. And even within power metal, they mix major and minor together. Future World by Helloween, the original "happy power metal song", even using some minor keys.

Since you haven't heard full songs, if it helps your decision making promise, I can say I don't think there are any major keys on the new one until the end of Transcendence, which uses the major key modulation of minor key themes in the preceding songs to make a musical point that coincides with the "transcendent" theme of the lyrics.