Redemption - The Fullness of Time

BABS said:
Can you believe I'm still waiting for it to arrive? I'm beginning to think my mail carrier has made off with it and is cranking it full blast in their little delivery truck. Sort of sounds like a Seinfeld episode doesn't it?
Newman!

newman.jpg

nvandyk said:
Outside of power metal, there's precious little aggressively music written in major keys. And even within power metal, they mix major and minor together. Future World by Helloween, the original "happy power metal song", even using some minor keys.

Since you haven't heard full songs, if it helps your decision making promise, I can say I don't think there are any major keys on the new one until the end of Transcendence, which uses the major key modulation of minor key themes in the preceding songs to make a musical point that coincides with the "transcendent" theme of the lyrics.

It just seems kind of arrogant to me to "hate major keys."

Barking Pumpkin said:
It just seems kind of arrogant to me to "hate major keys."

I don't think there's anything arrogant. He doesn't like the way they sound in this type of music. Other people don't like dissonance.

I prefer minor keys. Does that make me racist? :)

heh... I finally got off my ass and listened to some of my new cds the last couple days... the new Redemption being one of them. I've gotta say, I agree with all the people who think Ray smokes Rick Mythiasin on this disc -- and I was one of the biggest Rick supporters, so that's saying a lot. I like the heavier direction (or is it just "heavier" production? I'm not sure) on this one. Also, I think "Sapphire" is my least favorite track on the album, but that's just because I lose patience with long tracks easily; I can't generally tolerate songs more than 10 minutes long. However, it's still a pretty spiffy track. My favorites are the first two tracks, "Threads" and "Parker's Eyes".

I also believe I've figured out what it is that Redemption has, that puts them above and beyond the majority of new prog metal, at least to my ears. It's the emotion in the vocals. Both Rick and Ray sing with a passion that reminds me of DT's Images and Words, and the entire Savatage catalog. I remember getting a Savatage-like emotional vibe from the s/t, and I'm getting it with TFoT as well. I'm not saying the music itself resembles Savatage in any way; I'm just referring to the way that the vocals and songwriting impact me, as a listener. I really think this has a lot to do with Nick's songwriting, as I've never gotten this same vibe from anything Steel Prophet or Fates Warning have recorded.

oKAY.....here it is. I like to listen to a cd several times through before giving an opinion to make sure that I give an acurrate and honest one. I am not one of these guys that will like anything from a certain band because I like that certain band.

When I first heard the samples on line I was not that impressed. When I first spun the cd, I was more impressed but still unsure.

NOW, I can not take this thing out of my cd player. It has a hold on me and it won't let go. More specific, I can't stop listening to Sapphire. That is one hell of a song.

There have been several albums as of late that have let me down for one reason or another. Therfore, being of fan of the first Redemption album I was sceptical that this one would be good. The doubts are over. SQUASHED.

Nick, you have done a wonderful job with the album and I thank you for it.

FatesFan said:
NOW, I can not take this thing out of my cd player. It has a hold on me and it won't let go. More specific, I can't stop listening to Sapphire. That is one hell of a song.

There have been several albums as of late that have let me down for one reason or another. Therfore, being of fan of the first Redemption album I was sceptical that this one would be good. The doubts are over. SQUASHED.

Nick, you have done a wonderful job with the album and I thank you for it.

Thanks, FatesFan! I hope you didn't change your opinion just based on what I said, and I'm glad the CD has connected with you. I really do think it's such a big step forward from the first one that it's difficult to compare the two, so from that standpoint, if you hated the first one, you might still like the second, if you liked the first one, you'll love the second, and if you really liked the first one, the second might take a bit of adjustment but I'm confident you'll like it in the end. :)

Thanks again!

nvandyk said:
Thanks, FatesFan! I hope you didn't change your opinion just based on what I said, and I'm glad the CD has connected with you. I really do think it's such a big step forward from the first one that it's difficult to compare the two, so from that standpoint, if you hated the first one, you might still like the second, if you liked the first one, you'll love the second, and if you really liked the first one, the second might take a bit of adjustment but I'm confident you'll like it in the end. :)

Thanks again!

This cd connecting to me has nothing to do with what you or anyone else has said. Some of my favorite bands have put out albums that I just don't care for and I can say that I don't like them. I am convinced that there are people that will like anything that is put out by a certain band or artist just because it is by the band or artist. I am not one of those people. If I don't like it , I don't like it.

More often than not it seems that it takes a couple of spins of a cd to really connect with me. I usually can tell with one spin if I hate it.

Example: I have been a Fates Warning fan since Night on Brocken. When APSOG came out I was like "wtf"! It didn't hit me the first time. It quickly became my favorite album. In fact,IMHO it is the best thing they have ever done.

This new album of yours has followed a very similar pattern. Although I don't ever think I thought"wtf'. Don't misunderstand. I never thought the album was no good. It just had not hit me in the face until about the tird time I spun it and then it was like the light went on.

Amongst all the bands I listen to and or explored in this genre, there have always been in my mind an "A" list of bands.

Fates Warning
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Rhapsody

These are the 4 bands that stand out to me as my favorites. I think it is fair to say that I have just added another band to that list.

Redemption!

I'll hopefully have this album reviewed on Monday. All I'll say about it now is that I think this will be hard to beat in terms of Prog for the year and that Transcendence is eight minutes of the most triumphant sounding music I've heard in a long time.

I'll still continue to argue that "Scarred" would fit excellently with any of the songs on DT's Awake. It's heavy (the heaviest on this album IMO), dark and powerful. Killer track!

The Fullness of Time is a top 5 release of the year for me.