Redemption's "The Origins of Ruin"

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
There are certain bands, whose new releases, I deem a disappointment if they finish the year as anything short of my “CD of the Year”. That list includes Iced Earth, Nevermore, Symphony X and Zero Hour. Unfortunately for Iced Earth and Symphony X, they have new releases scheduled for 2007. To both those bands I now say, there’s no shame in finishing second.

Redemption's The Origins of Ruin if steeped in introspective lyrics, drenched in emotion, jam-packed with brilliant musicianship and overflowing with great songwriting. From the opening of “The Suffocating Silence”, to the beautiful title track, to heart-wrenching ending of “Fall on You”, this disc never let’s up in terms of superb quality.

Nick and Ray have developed a chemistry that has only grown stronger since the release of The Fullness Of Time. I can’t say if this is because Nick has a deeper understanding of how to write for Ray's vocals or because Ray has a greater sense of what Nick is trying to convey. If I had to guess, I would imagine the truth lies somewhere in the middle. In much the same way I always felt Barlow's powerful, dramatic delivery, lent credence to Schaffer's occasionally over the top lyrics, Ray's emotional delivery amplifies the intensity of Nick's contemplative lyrics.

In many ways, The Origins of Ruin picks up right where The Fullness Of Time left off. However, there are several noteworthy improvements. For starters, the guitar playing has improved. Obviously, Redemption never lacked in respect to its guitar play. However, on The Origins of Ruin, the lead play seems to have progressed to the next level, while the riffing consistently delivers a greater deal of crunch. Perhaps more important, the songwriting has continued to mature. I wouldn't say the differences between Origins and Fullness, are as stark as those between Fullness and the S/T release. However, it’s clear that Redemption’s sound is still evolving. If the S/T was black and white, and Fullness offered a wide range of colors, Origins offers all those same colors, but with additional depth and shading.

This isn’t the type of release that one queues up, listens to with half an ear, and is floored by its brilliance. However, it is the type of disc that continues to improve and build momentum with each listen. It's the type of disc where nuances continue to reveal themselves with each spin. And it's certainly the type of disc that will find itself atop many year end Top 10 lists.

Zod

THis is an excellent release by the band. I look forward to hearing this live.

In many ways, The Origins of Ruin picks up right where The Fullness Of Time left off.

Agree. I downloaded recently and I already put it on my wish list for April releases . As much as I was kind of skeptic when Rick left and Ray came aboard I was pretty satisfied with the product of TFOT. I was pretty interested in PPVIII because of Redemption, now with this release my interest has become higher.

And it's certainly the type of disc that will find itself atop many year end Top 10 lists.
Zod

Well I don't know that much ;) but who knows still a lot to go of this year :erk: (I want vacations).

NP: Beto Vazquez Infinity - 'The Tunnel Of Souls'

There are certain bands, whose new releases, I deem a disappointment if they finish the year as anything short of my “CD of the Year”. That list includes Iced Earth, Nevermore, Symphony X and Zero Hour. Unfortunately for Iced Earth and Symphony X, they have new releases scheduled for 2007. To both those bands I now say, there’s no shame in finishing second.

Redemption's The Origins of Ruin if steeped in introspective lyrics, drenched in emotion, jam-packed with brilliant musicianship and overflowing with great songwriting. From the opening of “The Suffocating Silence”, to the beautiful title track, to heart-wrenching ending of “Fall on You”, this disc never let’s up in terms of superb quality.

Nick and Ray have developed a chemistry that has only grown stronger since the release of The Fullness Of Time. I can’t say if this is because Nick has a deeper understanding of how to write for Ray's vocals or because Ray has a greater sense of what Nick is trying to convey. If I had to guess, I would imagine the truth lies somewhere in the middle. In much the same way I always felt Barlow's powerful, dramatic delivery, lent credence to Schaffer's occasionally over the top lyrics, Ray's emotional delivery amplifies the intensity of Nick's contemplative lyrics.

In many ways, The Origins of Ruin picks up right where The Fullness Of Time left off. However, there are several noteworthy improvements. For starters, the guitar playing has improved. Obviously, Redemption never lacked in respect to its guitar play. However, on The Origins of Ruin, the lead play seems to have progressed to the next level, while the riffing consistently delivers a greater deal of crunch. Perhaps more important, the songwriting has continued to mature. I wouldn't say the differences between Origins and Fullness, are as stark as those between Fullness and the S/T release. However, it’s clear that Redemption’s sound is still evolving. If the S/T was black and white, and Fullness offered a wide range of colors, Origins offers all those same colors, but with additional depth and shading.

This isn’t the type of release that one queues up, listens to with half an ear, and is floored by its brilliance. However, it is the type of disc that continues to improve and build momentum with each listen. It's the type of disc where nuances continue to reveal themselves with each spin. And it's certainly the type of disc that will find itself atop many year end Top 10 lists.

Zod

Very Nice review and I can't wait to hear it. Fullness of time has been one of if not my favorite album since I bought it. :headbang:

I guess I will have to buy the album to give it its fair due. Hearing "The Suffocating Silence" set the band way back in my mind and made me wonder what happened between the S/T and now. An incredibly generic song, IMO. I'm ready for the full album to win me over otherwise!

Very good release For Nick, Ray & the rest of the band. So far this one has not grabbed me like TFoT did right out of the box. This one seems to have slicker production which l think takes some of the edge away from it. Also, Ray sounds as though he has toned down his delivery somewhat. On the brightside, the guitar work is excellent...and the song structures and layering is great. l plan to keep this in heavy rotation.

I guess I will have to buy the album to give it its fair due. Hearing "The Suffocating Silence" set the band way back in my mind and made me wonder what happened between the S/T and now. An incredibly generic song, IMO. I'm ready for the full album to win me over otherwise!
Wow, couldn't disagree more here.

I've been through this album four times now, and while I like it, I think it's basically a continuation of the material on their previous album. The Fullness of Time was an amazing disc, with lots of crunch, excellent melodies, and awesome vocal harmonies. The new disc, on the other hand, has Alder toning it down a bit. The crunch is still there, as is the drum and bass combo. Keyboards just provide extra atmosphere, but overall, I feel this album is no where near as "new" sounding as The Fullness of Time. It's a good album, but not mindblowing in my opinion.

By the way, I feel Redemption sounds more like a typical melodic metal band than a prog metal band now. Sure there is still the occasional time change and stuff, but overall, this is melodic metal with touches of some prog and power metal. Not that this is a bad thing, but I've always been more interested in the progressive side of prog metal.

I've been through this album four times now, and while I like it, I think it's basically a continuation of the material on their previous album. The Fullness of Time was an amazing disc, with lots of crunch, excellent melodies, and awesome vocal harmonies.
I'd agree that they aren't reinventing themselves with this disc. However, I would neither expect a band to do so with each new disc, nor would I want them to. While I'll agree, in many ways, this disc could be viewed as a continuation, I think the crunch is crunchier and the melodies are stronger and more consistent. And I suppose one could argue Ray has "toned it down" on this disc. However, I find myself enjoying his performance more on the new disc than the last. I suspect he just has a better idea of where he wants to be within the music.

As for how technical this disc is, I'll simply say, I like it. It's not hitting you over the head with odd time signatures, but it's never dull. Plus, I feel that both Nick's play, and the play of the rhythm section are stronger on this disc, than the last.

I've had a chance to spin this disc a bunch more times since I started this thread, and my appreciation of it has only grown. If you can listen to the title track without getting goose bumps, check your pulse.

Zod

I need to give this one a spin at one point but I think before I do I'm going to warm up with some Into Eternity, it just seems like the thing to do these days.

I think the crunch is crunchier and the melodies are stronger and more consistent.

Hhmm l have a different take on the crunch...seems to be toned down to me. But, l think that may be due to the more refined production as opposed to TFoT. Definitely more melodic than TFoT.

General Zod said:
And I suppose one could argue Ray has "toned it down" on this disc.

Only in his delivery...which is less "over the top". He is still smooth as ever. l really like the way he blends lines. He does this like nobody else on this planet.

General Zod said:
I feel that both Nick's play, and the play of the rhythm section are stronger on this disc, than the last.

l couldn't agree more.

Only in his delivery...which is less "over the top". He is still smooth as ever. l really like the way he blends lines. He does this like nobody else on this planet.
Exactly. There are certain lines he sings, that just blow me away. However, there's nothing I could point to about those lines and say, "this is what impresses me". He brings something very intangible to a song.

Zod