Redeye/Recabinet/Orange/Invader A/B test

Temps

Aug 13, 2008
I used my DIs from my latest tune and re-recorded it through my Orange cab using a SM57. I tried a bunch of different mic positions and the one that seemed to work best had the mic at about a 45 degree angle to the dust cap.

Anyway, this is the song with the mic
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7275400

This is the song with a Mesa 4x12 Recabinet, EL34, SM57, cap impulse
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7301927

I was lazy with my DIs though... so there are few missing, you can tell right away.. the fadeout guitar parts are still Recabi, and the end riff loops very obviously :lol:

My ears are fatigued as fuck right now from sitting by the cab.. any pointers on the mic'd tone? Is it an improvement?

Also tweaked the snare and bass sound as per metaltastic and moonlapse's suggestions :D

The frequency response of Recab sounds better in these tests. I'd tweak the mic position on the Orange a lot more... probably a lot more on axis with rotation too. Having it 45 degrees creates a hollow, phasey sound when not combined with a direct mic.

Both clips are some of the best tone I've heard from you. Great writing too!!

I'd love to add the Recabinet clip to the Recabinet website in the clips section if that's cool with you, Temps. Awesome work!!

PS - I am going to be adding an Orange cab to Recabinet later this year (in Q2.)

The frequency response of Recab sounds better in these tests. I'd tweak the mic position on the Orange a lot more... probably a lot more on axis with rotation too. Having it 45 degrees creates a hollow, phasey sound when not combined with a direct mic.

I tried a bunch of straight angled positions and they seemed to be really bright with an aggressive pick attack, but then they were really thin, even after boosting the depth and dialing back the presence on the amp quite a bit. I might see if I can find another SM57 and then see what kind of tone I could get out of the two of them.

Both clips are some of the best tone I've heard from you. Great writing too!!

I'd love to add the Recabinet clip to the Recabinet website in the clips section if that's cool with you, Temps. Awesome work!!

PS - I am going to be adding an Orange cab to Recabinet later this year (in Q2.)

Glad you like it.. Go for it, there should be a download link on the soundclick for the tune. I'm glad I made the cut :D I just got that Recabinet e-mail too, I'm pumped to hear the Orange and the new bright impulses.