Redneck by Lamb of God

I think the mix isn't that good. The guitars are really boxy sounding and it lacks top end and prescence. The low end is a mess and I can't hear any distinct bass guitar. The drum programming sounds fine but the drum mix needs improving.

As a whole, the mix lacks any kind of excitement. What kind of room are you mixing in? Do you have any treatment in the room at all? I would guess you don't as it feels like you are totally over compensating with the low end.

I am curious to why you would use Superior and Trigger? If you have a midi stem why are you triggering too?

I think the mix isn't that good. The guitars are really boxy sounding and it lacks top end and prescence.

I did cut out more of the highs than I would normally do, I was using the original stems as a reference and the original guitars have basically nothing above 7-8kHz.

The low end is a mess and I can't hear any distinct bass guitar. The drum programming sounds fine but the drum mix needs improving.

Anything specific you can suggest I try to improve the drum mix?

As a whole, the mix lacks any kind of excitement. What kind of room are you mixing in? Do you have any treatment in the room at all? I would guess you don't as it feels like you are totally over compensating with the low end.

Correct, I don't have any treatment currently, although a lot of the mixing was done using headphones.

I am curious to why you would use Superior and Trigger? If you have a midi stem why are you triggering too?

I created the MIDI track and put it through Superior, exported the Superior multitracks and then blended some samples in with Trigger. The reason was because I wanted to use some of the Trigger samples which I can't use with Superior. So in effect I was using Superior to create the drum performance and then treating it as if they were recorded instead of programmed.

Cheers for the feedback though!

There are no DIs for the guitars, the guitars were done with my 6505 and a 57. Only thing I did with DI was the bass.

I can look at uploading them if you like, although I believe there are some DI tracks someone else made on the multi's thread on here.

Definitely don't use the original as a reference, because every LoG album sounds like total shit hahah. Great songs, but there's a really good reason nobody ever talks about using them as reference mixes here.

Guitar low pass is definitely too low. I usually put mine at 18db/oct between 9500 and 12000. Could also use some tightening up- for tight metal I think the drive at 0 and tone knob at noon on screamers generally sounds good. I would try scooping 1-3 db from the 250hz range as well.

Something about the low end sounds weird- too much boominess somewhere, but I can't figure out where it's coming from. I'm guessing it's the room's lack of treatment mixing with the kick, but I have 0 experience mixing real drums so can't be sure.

It's like 70% there though, nothing is horribly wrong, just needs some fixes.

Definitely don't use the original as a reference, because every LoG album sounds like total shit hahah. Great songs, but there's a really good reason nobody ever talks about using them as reference mixes here.

I kinda like the raw aggression in their mixes, yeah they aren't totally clean or polished but I think it suits the music to an extent. I was trying to get a similar aggressive sounding mix, hence the referencing.

Guitar low pass is definitely too low. I usually put mine at 18db/oct between 9500 and 12000. Could also use some tightening up- for tight metal I think the drive at 0 and tone knob at noon on screamers generally sounds good. I would try scooping 1-3 db from the 250hz range as well.

I agree with the low pass, I was amazed when I saw how little highs are on the original stems. Normally I would high pass at about 10k, for this one though I brought it down to experiment. I did also use a Tube Screamer on this, and I am pretty sure 250Hz would have been cut although I can't quite remember, I had to do a fair amount of subtractive EQ to cleanup the tone due to my setup.

Something about the low end sounds weird- too much boominess somewhere, but I can't figure out where it's coming from. I'm guessing it's the room's lack of treatment mixing with the kick, but I have 0 experience mixing real drums so can't be sure.

Entirely possible, would over-compressing the sub 100Hz region cause the boominess or would that most likely be something to look at in the mix? Also when you say boominess do you mean a general overload of low frequencies or a specific low frequency tone which doesn't sit right?

It's like 70% there though, nothing is horribly wrong, just needs some fixes.

Awesome, cheers for the feedback I'll bear all this in mind on my next mix.