regarding mr. renske's performence on Krakow DVD

Verwuestung

I am Damo Suzuki
Nov 30, 2005
lost
hey, I recently acquired Katatonia - The Black Sessions :D
and I was watching the DVD
and to be honest, I was kind of let down on how the singing sound in some of the songs, especially in Deadhouse I guess
I know Jonas's own singing style changed through the years, a big change from Discouraged Ones.. but still I thought it lacked the energy.. and the very sad tone that's in Discouraged Ones.. so that's why I'm a little disappointed, but I do understand that's how he sings now :)

what do you think of the subject?

I thought his voice was great. Sounds a little different but just as good in a different way I thought.

Katatonia should make a new dvd with some interviews and some behind the scene type things and concert clips/songs from various tours.

Limbonic said:
I thought his voice was great. Sounds a little different but just as good in a different way I thought.

Katatonia should make a new dvd with some interviews and some behind the scene type things and concert clips/songs from various tours.
Or they could just go on a North American tour... :)

If they ever make a new DVD, I'll beg them to take another filming crew, those camera men were amateuristic retards. I can't express how annoying I find the filming and editing.
It seems like most of those guys thought it was awesome to dance around with the camera, and do things like constantly zooming in and out, making squares around Jonas's head (I think this was especially during Deadhouse), etc... Well, it's not cool at all.
The gig itself is nice though, Katatonia did a good job.

Limbonic said:

That would make me equally happy :)

Limbonic said:

I agree. Jonas sounds great on Krakow DVD and I think he has evolved as a singer since Discouraged Ones. That's why he sounds a bit different than 8 or 9 years ago. I love his vocals now and I love his vocals on DO. When Discouraged Ones come out back in 1998, I hadn't ever heard a song from Katatonia. Then when I heard the album, I was just blown away. I had never heard so much desperation and sadness in vocals and loved it right away. And have been totally into Katatonia ever since. :headbang:

I also agree with you Cerulean, the filming crew was shite. Those fast cuts were awful. Especially Murder was cut so hideously. Hopefully next Kata-DVD is going to be filmed by professionals.

Verwuestung said:
hey, I recently acquired Katatonia - The Black Sessions :D
and I was watching the DVD
and to be honest, I was kind of let down on how the singing sound in some of the songs, especially in Deadhouse I guess
I know Jonas's own singing style changed through the years, a big change from Discouraged Ones.. but still I thought it lacked the energy.. and the very sad tone that's in Discouraged Ones.. so that's why I'm a little disappointed, but I do understand that's how he sings now :)

what do you think of the subject?

you gotta understand that is not the same effort you make LIVE than in a studio recording....so i think its well performed...i personally like a lot tonights music and burn the rememberance..

Personally, I thought the vocals were rather good. Not much of a stage show though...but I guess thats not their appeal....

I think the filming/editing was lousy, but so was the sound. It gets better throughout the show though, but it is pretty bad compared to what it COULD and SHOULD be.

Btw, does anyone have the Paradise Lost DVD "Evolve"? Is it good?

I think Mr. Renkse’s performance was ok… It was close to perfect actually. Have you ever heard their audio bootleg “Live In Paris”? It was poor indeed… Krakow was a huge step forward. Sometimes Jonas sounded just like on his studio tapes. The only song I didn’t like his vocal in was “Burn The Remembrance”. Not the whole song, just the chorus. It didn’t sound bad, but it sounded strange a bit… at least for my ears. So I just enjoy Kata performance every time I watch this DVD. Filming/ editing is another point, I didn’t like it at all. English is not my native language, so I don’t know if I can explain it properly… The crowd was lifeless and useless, ok… but the editors could to not concentrate our attention on that and give us instead some shots of guys jumping in front of stage, who were really pleasant with Katatonia appearance there. They were showing us Jonas from exactly the same position all the time and taking into account that Jonas himself didn’t move that much while singing, it was quite boring. And one of these guys with camera irritated me a lot. He stood all the concert time just beside Anders and looked obviously unnecessary on stage. He made several cool close shots, but I just wonder how Anders could concentrate on his guitar and backing vocals with the camera almost stuck into his face…

Cerulean said:
If they ever make a new DVD, I'll beg them to take another filming crew, those camera men were amateuristic retards. I can't express how annoying I find the filming and editing.
It seems like most of those guys thought it was awesome to dance around with the camera, and do things like constantly zooming in and out, making squares around Jonas's head (I think this was especially during Deadhouse), etc... Well, it's not cool at all.
The gig itself is nice though, Katatonia did a good job.

Yeah thats exactly what i think, the stupid shots and the editing is so bad i have yet to sit through the dvd. i just can't bare to watch it, i think i've seen the first two songs, if that.

It's probably just a certain crew in Poland that some metal bands hire... Cos I also have the Enslaved and Dark Tranquillity DVD from Krakow, and in both DVD's the filming and editing is quite similar if I remember well.
The guy who was filming the drummers was just dancing in front of their drumkits like a total fucking retard. They mess up the whole experience of the DVD's!!!

The latest DVD of My Dying Bride is a good example of how a DVD should be, it's very atmospheric and the filming is good.