Regarding the NY times article...

JoeBloggs

New Metal Member
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
Would some kind soul do a transcript of the article for those of us with PC's that are out of date/dead in the water/ie cactus, and who can't access the link to the audio clip ?

I've read the gist of the review from other posts, though I'd like to see the guy's take in full, if possible ?

Cheers:cool:

My name is Kelefa Sanneh. I'm a pop critic for the New York Times and today I'm talking about 'Deliverance,' the impressive new album by Opeth. Opeth is a band from outside Stockholm, Sweden. Opeth released its first album 'Orchid' in 1995 and the group has been making adventerous, loud music ever since. The group's style combines the dense sound of heavy metal with a more atmoshperic approach of black metal. Even the loudest and most bombastic songs sound somehow(?) graceful and serene. 'Deliverance' consists of five songs all between ten and fifteen minutes long, and one brief interlude called 'For Absent Friends.' Anyone who doesn't listen to this kind of music may have some trouble getting used to the cookie monster vocals. It's a style that forces you to concentrate on texture rather than tune or lyrics. The album starts with lots of growling with pleasent guitar and hummingbird drumming. These are long songs but they never get boring because they're filled with unexpected breaks and changes. Soon after it starts, the title track 'Deliverance' goes acoustic. There are enough precise guitar riffs on this album to satisfy any Metallica fan but what's most impressive is the way the songs move - slow and deliberate like glaciers. By the time you get to the last track, called 'By The Pain I See In Others,' you might start to suspect that there's something oddly soothing about this album. For the New York Times, I'm Kelefa Sanneh.

#1...I agree..."cookie monster" vocals has LONG out-lived its use. #2...Metallica and Opeth should not be mentioned in the same paragraph. That's comparing Madonna to Angela Gossow. Sheesh. That guy was on some serious crack in my opinion.

#2...Metallica and Opeth should not be mentioned in the same paragraph.

While I can't stand Metallica, there are some pretty obvious thrash influences in Opeth's music, especially songs like Wreath or The Leper Affinity. The Battery-style riffage comes up more than once. That said, it's not a bad thing. I had a friend who thought that Master of Puppets was the be-all-and-end-all of metal, and one listen to Blackwater Park turned him around really quickly...

ok...so opeth takes metal and black metal...how the fuck do you NOT mention the acoustic/proggy soft parts? and black metal?! WTF!?!?! that is by far the worst attempt to explain opeth i've ever seen.

Originally posted by OneFootBlaster
who cares? ATleast theyre getting recognized on a larger scale now.. they most certainly deserve it moreso than all the LAME bands that are being marketed as metal- hails to the NY TIMES!
I hope they go platinum!!

It's one thing to get exposure...that's all fine and great...it's another thing when it's done by making ridiculous comparisons...kind of defeats the purpose.

@bleedingskeptic:

THANK YOU

Originally posted by ShadowLioness
EXACTLY...wrong kind of exposure.
I must disagree- music is universal, and people that 'only listen to metal' should not be the only ones able to comment on it. I think that reviewer did well, they obviously know a little something about metal (how odd, a 'pop' (whatever you take that to mean) reviewer who isn't close minded to metal, when on the other side of the equation.... [insert comment about narrow minded metalheads here]). I think mainstream attention to metal is well overdue. If this makes a couple of new people check out Opeth, then that's great (why is everyone so afraid of their favourite 'underground' bands selling lots of records? (and yes, that's rhetorical, I know the answer [see previously inserted narrow minded metalhead comment]). Good review, good exposure for the band.

Oh, and about that 'comparing Opeth to Metallica' statement thing. I agree, comparing them is a little silly (though that isn't really what the reviewer did, they were giving a point of reference for people who haven't heard Opeth).
Metallica = legends (regardless of how crap the recent stuff may or maynot be).
Opeth = really good, but not legends.

Music is universal, yes. I myself listen to many genres of music...so I am also not one of those people that is closed minded about things at all. I'll be the first one to accept different in the musical sense over the average "metal-head". I really just didn't agree with the way that this review was presented. That's great that a "pop-reviewer" or whatever decided to do a "metal" review. Here's my point though...I know jack shit about impressionistic art, for example...so let me go read some books and then go write a review about someone's latest masterpiece...doesn't give it quite the same amount of justice, you know? That's how the review presented itself in my opinion. I think you really have to have your head immersed in something before you go writing opinions about it.

i dont think that its a truly bad thing that metallica and opeth were mentioned together...metallica has been a very influencial band...although there digging there grave deeper by making this new cd...but to be mentioned with metallica mayb be a good boost..and i dont think that they will ever be on mtv or any gay shit like that.

Originally posted by ShadowLioness
#1...I agree..."cookie monster" vocals has LONG out-lived its use. #2...Metallica and Opeth should not be mentioned in the same paragraph. That's comparing Madonna to Angela Gossow. Sheesh. That guy was on some serious crack in my opinion.

Well, a number of my friends have at different times and different occasions asked me if I was playing Metallica when in fact I was playing Opeth.

Originally posted by Cutter
Well, a number of my friends have at different times and different occasions asked me if I was playing Metallica when in fact I was playing Opeth.

They knew nothing of metal or Metallica, am I right?

I was at work once blasting Panteras The Great Southern Trendkill through the store speakers and some woman came up and asked if I was playing Marilyn Manson.

People seem to think that there are only two or three metal bands in existence.