Deliverance review in The New York Times

frycus

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
I read somewhere that the New York Times had reviewed Deliverance. Has anyone read the review. Could one in possession of the article be kind enough to post it ? Thank you. I'm curious as to what the Times wrote.

My name is Kelefa Sanneh. I'm a pop critic for the New York Times and today I'm talking about 'Deliverance,' the impressive new album by Opeth. Opeth is a band from outside Stockholm, Sweden. Opeth released its first album 'Orchid' in 1995 and the group has been making adventerous, loud music ever since. The group's style combines the dense sound of heavy metal with a more atmoshperic approach of black metal. Even the loudest and most bombastic songs sound somehow(?) graceful and serene. 'Deliverance' consists of five songs all between ten and fifteen minutes long, and one brief interlude called 'For Absent Friends.' Anyone who doesn't listen to this kind of music may have some trouble getting used to the cookie monster vocals. It's a style that forces you to concentrate on texture rather than tune or lyrics. The album starts with lots of growling with pleasent guitar and hummingbird drumming. These are long songs but they never get boring because they're filled with unexpected breaks and changes. Soon after it starts, the title track 'Deliverance' goes acoustic. There are enough precise guitar riffs on this album to satisfy any Metallica fan but what's most impressive is the way the songs move - slow and deliberate like glaciers. By the time you get to the last track, called 'By The Pain I See In Others,' you might start to suspect that there's something oddly soothing about this album. For the New York Times, I'm Kelefa Sanneh.

I remember people were complaining that the review made use of the dreaded phrase "cookie monster vocals."

I often don't understand why people who don't like growls bother to do reviews of 'cookie monster' bands.

Most of the time their opinion comes down to 'DISGUSTING VOCALS EWW EWW EWW'. They shouldn't be considered to meet the criteria required to write a review on that kind of music. Someone who can't appreciate growls SHOULD NOT review that type of music because it often makes their view completely biased AGAINST the music.

"There are enough precise guitar riffs on this album to satisfy any Metallica fan"

Heh, Opeth would play the shorts off of Metallica any time. But today's Metallica-fans are more likely to be into nu-metal, so I doubt they'd be satisfied with the awesomeness of Opeth. It's just too good for them. (and to all you flamers, this WAS a joke. Sort of.)

That is fucking gay... one of the worst 'professional' reviews I've ever heard in my life. Do these people know shit about music? Or is their pop-culture fed brain a little bit too fucking dense to be able to give a solid overview of an album that actually takes some sort of talent/skill/inspiration to make.

It's a style that forces you to concentrate on texture rather than tune or lyrics.

wtf????? wtf is texture and wtf is wrong with the tune and lyrics??? But back to the first question, WHAT THE FUCK IS TEXTURE?? I seem to have been missing it when I listened to the album numerous times.

There are enough precise guitar riffs on this album to satisfy any Metallica fan

Die you whore.

Soon after it starts, the title track 'Deliverance' goes acoustic.

Oh really? FUCK, I wonder how long it took you to get that analysis sherlock.

"The group's style combines the dense sound of heavy metal with a more atmoshperic approach of black metal."

THIS COMMENT IS THE ONE WHICH STANDS OUT AS REQUIRING THE AWARD FOR RETARD OF THE YEAR.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
That is fucking gay... one of the worst 'professional' reviews I've ever heard in my life. Do these people know shit about music? Or is their pop-culture fed brain a little bit too fucking dense to be able to give a solid overview of an album that actually takes some sort of talent/skill/inspiration to make.

wtf????? wtf is texture and wtf is wrong with the tune and lyrics??? But back to the first question, WHAT THE FUCK IS TEXTURE?? I seem to have been missing it when I listened to the album numerous times.

Die you whore.

Oh really? FUCK, I wonder how long it took you to get that analysis sherlock.

Dude you've really got an attitude problem. The reviewer wrote his opinion which is what reviewers are supposed to do.

The guy clearly wrote the review for NON EXTREME MUSIC FANS who aren't used to the finer details and wouldn't nit pick quite as much as you guys. The referance to Metallica was done to relate it to something a regular person actually might be able to recognize, as Metallica is the most well known metal band...err... EVER.

Jesus you people, it was a positive review in a major news source. Just be happy with that (or if you're an idiot who hates any band that becomes popular, whine about it).

Originally posted by Brooks
The guy clearly wrote the review for NON EXTREME MUSIC FANS who aren't used to the finer details and wouldn't nit pick quite as much as you guys. The referance to Metallica was done to relate it to something a regular person actually might be able to recognize, as Metallica is the most well known metal band...err... EVER.

And this is exactly why Opeth don't need to be in the mainstream. They don't need this kind of review that completely degrades the band via Metallica comparisons and dumbing down the language so idiots can understand it. Opeth is years and years of work and one of the greatest bands I have ever heard in my life. I personally think in regards to recognition, Mikael and co deserve alot more than THAT *points at review*.

EDIT: haha, actually this says it all right here:

I'm a pop critic for the New York Times and today I'm talking about 'Deliverance,'

Pop critic talking about Deliverance, sure now that's your everyday Britney Spears album.

My review of Deliverance would be a lot more scathing.

Not very in-depth, but this is a POP critic we're talking about. Dude probably heard the album, and turned it off quick. I have to admit, I did the same thing. :rolleyes:

What's ironic that the sound clip he plays after saying how the music can sound oddly "soothing" is the dissonant acoustic rhythm in "The Pain I See in Others," which is discomforting, droning, eerie, and darkly beautiful -- hardly "soothing" to my ears. Especially after the distorted gruff voice comes in. I don't think he really gets the music. If he wanted to show the soothing, pretty aspect of the band's sound, he could have presented "Judgement" or 2nd half of "Master's". And how could he talk about the variety of their sound without playing both harsh and clean vocals? Hey, but it's good they got a high-profile positive review.

I said this before:

As much as I dont mind Opeth being reviewed in NY times, the review itself was pretty lame. The music selections which were played in the background included 75% growled vocal moments, and 25% accoustic bridges actually leading to nowwhere in that short amount of time. Where are the beautiful clean vox? Not even a mention of them. What about the accoustic passages that could represent Opeth's soft half rightfully? Nah....

it sounded more like the guy was trying to just scare readers of NYtimes away even though he was giving a "positive" review.
Shoot, give me a chance to do a review of Opeth's work in a mainstream source like NY Times and I'll definitely bring out more of what Opeth truly is about.

Sfarog

And this is exactly why Opeth don't need to be in the mainstream. They don't need this kind of review that completely degrades the band via Metallica comparisons and dumbing down the language so idiots can understand it.

Yeah, man! Anyone who isn't listening to death/black metal is an idiot!

You're the idiot that needs to grow up to me...

And yeah, you really have an attitude problem!:lol:

[/B]

hahah. His point is accurate I'd say, and who said there was anything wrong with the "tune and lyrics"?

So was this review on television or the radio or something?

Originally posted by Sfarog
I said this before:

As much as I dont mind Opeth being reviewed in NY times, the review itself was pretty lame. The music selections which were played in the background included 75% growled vocal moments, and 25% accoustic bridges actually leading to nowwhere in that short amount of time. Where are the beautiful clean vox? Not even a mention of them. What about the accoustic passages that could represent Opeth's soft half rightfully? Nah....

it sounded more like the guy was trying to just scare readers of NYtimes away even though he was giving a "positive" review.
Shoot, give me a chance to do a review of Opeth's work in a mainstream source like NY Times and I'll definitely bring out more of what Opeth truly is about.

Sfarog