Releasedate for "Pristine In Bondage"

Newflesh

Amaran
Mar 25, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
www.amaran.net
We recorded "Pristine In Bondage" back in april 2003 and our, and Listenables, idea was to release it during the fall 2003 ... The last album wasn't released in japan but the japanese wants to release the new album and that may prolong the release for europe and USA... They want it to be release it Japan on the 23:d of december and they don't want the album to be released anywhere before that... The japanese version will have 3 extra songs on it... I'll keep you informed on the progress about the releasedate

...and the American version should have five! :Spin:

Anyway, why is it almost all Japanese releases have bonus tracks yet majority of American releases do not? The Japanese always get lucky with discs, and sadly, I cannot afford Japanese CDs since I do not have much money :(

The reason why the Japanese editions almost always have bonus tracks is that CDs supposedly cost more there than elsewhere. So, in order to make people buy the domestic CDs and not ordering cheaper ones from overseas, the Japanese record companies demand a bonus track or a few.

Newflesh, are those three bonus tracks from "A World Depraved" (as it wasn't released there before) or some totally new tracks?

The reason why the Japanese editions almost always have bonus tracks is that CDs supposedly cost more there than elsewhere. So, in order to make people buy the domestic CDs and not ordering cheaper ones from overseas, the Japanese record companies demand a bonus track or a few.

Newflesh, are those three bonus tracks from "A World Depraved" (as it wasn't released there before) or some totally new tracks?

No, we recorded 13 tracks during the the "Pristine In Bondage"-session but only 10 of them made it to album. So the 3, "sorted out"-tracks, will be on the japanese version as bonustracks. Listenable will release a limited digipac edition with one of the 3 tracks.

Yes, and it's true that "A World Depraved" was never released in Japan, just through mailorder...

Moony said:

Thank you for letting me know this! It is still upsetting that we never get the bonus tracks. Now, when a band is going to release an album, do they to pick if there are bonus tracks or not, or is it the label?

For example, lets say I am going to release an album worldwide, and while I already have to include three bonus tracks on the Japanese release, could I say I want them on the US release as well as have it done?

I am just curious to see how some of this works since band members are kind enough to post :)

By the way, I should be ordering A World Depraved this weekend! :D

Newflesh wrote: we recorded 13 tracks during the the "Pristine In Bondage"-session but only 10 of them made it to album. So the 3, "sorted out"-tracks, will be on the japanese version as bonustracks. Listenable will release a limited digipac edition with one of the 3 tracks.
Thanks for the info. :) I'll certainly be on the lookout for that digipak edition then (and probably will get to hear those two other tracks, too, one way or another ;)). Any idea of the distributor of the album here in Finland yet? I got the previous one through Firebox.

Oakenson wrote: Thank you for letting me know this! [..] Now, when a band is going to release an album, do they to pick if there are bonus tracks or not, or is it the label?
No problem. :) It's definitely the label that decides whether or not there will be bonus tracks (actually, most of the times there's a clause in the contract for that, I think), but of course the band gets to decide which tracks they want to use for that purpose.

Oakenson wrote: lets say I am going to release an album worldwide, and while I already have to include three bonus tracks on the Japanese release, could I say I want them on the US release as well as have it done?
Well, I think the bonus tracks have to be somewhat exclusive to the Japanese edition. There wouldn't be any point in buying it if you could get the same songs on some other edition for a cheaper price, right?

Different labels have different channels of distribution and if you're on a major label then "maybe" you can release something worldwide through their channels. But if you're on a smaller label then it's easier to license the album in various territories. And as Moony said the japanese CD are much more expensive than the imported ones and so correctly said that who would want to buy a more expensive domestic CD with the same amout of tracks. So in order to get the them interested, labels throw in a couple of bonustracks :)

Moony: I think VME was the distributor in both Sweden and Finland if I'm not mistaken...

Newfelsh wrote: I think VME was the distributor in both Sweden and Finland if I'm not mistaken...
Doesn't ring a bell. :D I'm glad Firebox decided to carry it, otherwise I probably would have had a pretty hard time finding it. Seems like they still have it available (take a hint, Finns ;)).

Japanese record companies sure are demanding. :ill:
Just like the good ol US of A's RIAA...they need a large application of boot leather to their well-padded rears.

All right, thank you Moony and Newflesh for clearing this up! I can see how from a business standpoint, they must include the extra's on the Japanese albums so the Japanese will be more inclined to purchase the Japanese album for a higher price. I also noticed on Japanese CD's, everything seems to be of a very high quality. They also include that nifty little thing in all the packaging that is all in Japanese :p What I mean by "nifty little thing is" this:

--->
B000065ED2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

So I guess for the higher price they get higher quality altogether.

This is funny. It's always amusing how labels often voluntarily wait with selling a 'product' they spent a fair amount of money on... Nice to see that the P.I.B. will be released in Japan, but I think it's rather egoistic of that japanese label to say "we don't want to have your album released anywhere else before it's released here" after all it's YOUR album and they should be glad that you offered to license it to them at all :lol: To be honest I think the whole thing sucks because I bought AWD 13 months ago and I know every second of it...I need more of your music, but AWD is your only (released) album. But at least you'll have enough time (and hopefully money, if those labels plans succeed) to compose and record an even more perfect third album...

If the labels are acting locical they must have touring-plans for you as well. So I hope you'll do a european tour once the album is released, that would be totally killer. I guess they'll send you on tour with some awkward goth-combo, because everyone who's got no clue puts you into that category, but I won't care if I can finally see you live :)

\m/

Oakenson wrote: They also include that nifty little thing in all the packaging that is all in Japanese
That nifty little thing is called "OBI strip". Every Japanese album has it and what you can see there is the name of the band, name of the album and the tracklist. If you'll ever buy a Japanese album make sure the OBI is included, the album is incomplete without it. Dunno if anyone really cares though. :) There's usually also an extra booklet with the album, where there are the lyrics plus some other stuff like biography and discography included, in Japanese of course.