Reminiscence, read this

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
Hey man, I just got back from the Questura, which is the place for all immigration into Italy. If you're thinking about getting dual citizenship in the EU, this is what you're gonna have to do most probably. It could change slightly, but I'm sure that Germany and Italy have very similar rules because it's an EU thing.

You will need:

Birth Certificate
Criminal Records Certificate
Visa/Passport/Permit to Stay
Be a resident of the country you plan to claim citizenship with for at least 6 months (In Italy, at least)
Forms which detail everywhere you've lived since you were 14, how many times you've left and entered said country, etc.

It doesn't sound like a lot, and it's really not, but this is where it gets tricky.

Although on all of those forms there's a signature claiming that the secretary of said state confirms the data to be true, you will have to get an Apostille from the secretary of state of your home state. It's a worldwide stamp given only by the secretary of state basically certifying that what was certified is certified, :lol:. It's like a triple-check.

Once you get all of these documents in order, you will have to mail them to your secretary of state for the Apostille. It's called Apostille all over the world, so don't worry; they'll know what you're talking about. For more info, just go to google and type SECRETARY OF STATE (YOUR STATE) APOSTILLE, and it will tell you everything you need to know. You'll have to mail it to them with money for each document that needs the Apostille, AND YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE IT TRANSLATED INTO THE LANGUAGE YOU ARE MOVING TO. So basically, just staple the original and the translation to each other and they will stamp the entire thing as one. Send a prepaid return envelope and they'll mail it back to you. The Apostille is the biggest pain in the ass over all of this stuff, so have your shit in order and do it EARLY!

Of course, some things may be a little different according to state laws, but this was just a possible obstacle you may face. I'm from Louisiana and that's how it's done there. I hope this helps a bit.