Remixed one of my bands songs...

nuclearass

Jan 2, 2006
Finland
www.dmthc.com
I had some spare time last night and did a remix of one of our old songs. It was recorded @ sonic pump studios here in Helsinki. Check it out if you have time: www.mindworks.fi/antti/dmt_anchor_remix.mp3

There's still some editing & fixing to do etc, but I'm quite happy with the overall sound. It's not really mastered at all. Just a slight high shelf eq on the master bus and Massey limiter (very moderate settings). Any comments & advice for improvements?

.Antti

hardcore!!!
sounds exceptionally tight, care to share a few infos on the guitarsound?
massey=massenberg ?
do you have a hp?

Thanks guys! It was originally tracked quite well, so mixing it was fun. Nino Laurenne, the guy who tracked it has worked with big finnish metal acts like Wintersun, Amorphis, Ensiferum etc etc.

Guitars:
1&2: Gibson SG w/ sh-5(duncan custom) -> sd-1 -> 5150 rhythm channe- > 5150 cab w/v-30 -> sm58 -> tubetech MEC-1A
3&4: Gibson SG w/ sh-5(duncan custom) -> mesa dual rec (very little distortion used) -> marshall 1960A(a really old cab which had lost a lot of highs... muddy sounding cab in a good way) -> sm58 or 57 -> tubetech MEC-1A

vox:
sm58 -> tubetech MEC-1A
bass: can't remember... main thing was here was a ibanez tonelok bass dist. pedal and a player who hits those strings really hard ;-).

Drums in the mix: kick & toms 100% sampled. snare 80% sample . I wanted to try out some new samples I just bought (stevenslatedrums.com).
A VERY important factor in the overall drumsound here is the really good sounding room. The ambience mics were akg C414 in ab setup.

.Antti

dude how come hatebreed are up there sellin big, when theres other acts eating them for breakfast. i can only wonder.

hardcore!!!
sounds exceptionally tight, care to share a few infos on the guitarsound?
massey=massenberg ?
do you have a hp?

Thanks for the compliments!

http://www.masseyplugins.com/

These are really cool plugins IMO (RTAS only). And they're cheap! CT4 is one of my favourite plugin compressors and tape head is really cool too. The eq is also really nice. It colors the sound even if you just insert it on a track and don't even touch the knobs :-D . Try them out if you use PT! You can use the demo versions as long as you want. They just have some limitations.

our homepage: www.dmthc.com
the studio where I record nowadays: www.redfivestudio.net

.Antti

thanks for the info.
do you think the tubetech pre altered the sound alot or does
it rather just reflect what goes in ?

thanks for the info.
do you think the tubetech pre altered the sound alot or does
it rather just reflect what goes in ?

Hmm. I really can't say if it alters the sound much because I haven't recorded with it personally that much and I don't have much experience with other high end pres either. All I can say is that I've never gotten as good results with the same guitar/amp/cab/mic settings using mbox or a soundcraft spirit mixer pres. The main difference is in the high frequencies. Everything just sounds smoother, clearer and more pleasing to the ear. Same goes for vocals & bass. But there are also other factors... better converters/word clock & more experienced recording engineer :) . When the whole recording chain is better and more high end, it seems to make a difference :lol: .

btw. the 5150 had brand new tubes at that time also (JJ power & EH preamp), so it sounded killer in the room already.