Removing all the bass from a guitar tone?

Very interesting discussion !

its that classic saying "you cant even hear the bass" thats why bass players (at least used to be) like the least important player in the band.

i LOVE, sneaps mixes. but i do think he could get a more defined bass tone, not LOUDER where it takes over the mix but a tone that you can pick out easily not have to REALLY listen for the bass to hear it.

I agree with this ! But "picking out the bass" is not only a matter of mid-lows, but also of upper-mids (say 800 Hz to 2.5k, YMMV). I've found that boosting the bass guitar in this area is often an efficient way to give it clarity and let it cut through the mix, while retaining the tightness of the band's sound and without eating up other instruments (unless overdone, of course !).

When I listen closely to Sneap's mixes, it seems that the bass is indeed present (and sometimes even quite loud) in the mid-low region, but not much in the upper-midrange. I might be wrong, of course :)

Well, I guess it's all depends on a band, player and their style... I do love those Godcity studios releases, BUT you gotta have a hell of a bass player who can actually play his stuff, and not the ''I'll just play root notes of all riffs'' kind of stuff. And yeah, overdistorted bass is a way to go for this.

just my 2 cents

Depending on the sound that has been recorded, I do a steep HP between 100-180Hz. You should also do some low pass filtering at 8-10kHz. In this way you make the guitar sound less thinner + you have some extra space for the drum overheads and other high frequency sources. If the guitar is still not heavy enough, a small boost in the lower mids can give you some extra heaviness.