Renaissance of Progressive Metal

back to that question about bees and flies...
the environment one grows up in also determines one's musical tastes and what not. the environment would affect one's exposure to different types of music, thus affecting one's musical tastes, their definition of whats good/bad, etc.
like for me, i don't think i'd have been a prog fan if all i listened to was mainstream rock/pop/rap/oldies.

Be careful about how you use the word 'determine' the debate still rages about the role of enviornment in the development of the individual. I think a more appropriate way to say it is that enviornment influence's musical tastes. I believe the degree or strength of this influence varies among individuals. As for me my enviornment definately influenced my taste in muisic. My two older brother were musicians (one a gutarist one a drummer). They were always listening to and playing complex stuff in order to stretch their abilities. And although not a musician myself I came to appreciate music that was technically complex and this has definately influenced what I prefer to listen to.