replacing laptop LCD

iHate

Mar 31, 2009
I broke my laptop's LCD and I was thinking why not replace it with a higher resolution? It's a 15.4" and the screen I broke was a wxga (1280x800) and although it was okay, I was always wishing for more space in cubase.

I'm thinking of getting a WSXGA+ LCD (1680x1050), but I am worried that text and website graphics will just be way too small on 15.4". I think WXGA+ (1440x900) might be perfect, but this res was never offered with my laptop so I don't know if it would even work if I could find one. (inspiron 6000)(yea slow):)waah:)

Anybody have a huge res like wsxga+ on a 15.4"? Any advice or should I just stick with the stock wxga?

Make sure it'll actually work with your laptop, some devices are pretty finicky about that sort of thing.

The thing to keep in mind is that you can still make things *bigger* with a higher-resolution laptop. (Non-integer-multiple increases might not look as hot, but... oh well.) You gain quite a bit by throwing higher resolutions around, especially if your eyesight doesn't suck.

I'm dealing with a similar situation, running 2048x1152 on a 23" screen (think about the ratios in terms of similar triangles and you'll see why it's a decent approximation) - it's hard not to appreciate higher resolutions, really. If it works, I'd go for it.

Jeff

Yes my inverter off of the broken LCD is compatible with 3 screen resolutions, wxga, wsxga+, and wuxga. There are no wxga+ in 15.4" I guess it's a 15.6" res. I can always blow up the resolution and make it a bit fuzzy, it's how my desktop is anyways lol... But I set 1280x1024 on my square 19" and wow that is small! This is why I'm a little hesitant on the 15.4" widescreen at 1600x1050.