replacing/tightening up the kickdrum with a WAV file of the kick and a pulse...??

Jun 2, 2005
Hey guys,

Im going to mix a band pretty soon.. They have everything on a DVD with WAV files of all instruments when they are done recording it all.

Thing is, the studio they recorded the drums at, had no abillity to record the kick with MIDI.. so im left with an acoustic kick drum WAV file...
However, they did get the output audio and the pulse of the trigger module..

What is the best way to get the kick tight? fix the mistakes a bit, and how could i replace the kick with a sample this way? is there a way to transformate the pulse of the trigger into MIDI and edit it that way? does drumagog do that?

Thanks in advance!

And am i correct when i think that drumagog can actually replace peaks in the kickdrum WAV file, and replace those audio peaks with a sample?

Still one problem left then if that's true, how do i translate it to MIDI then, to tighten things up and fix the mistakes?

If I'm reading your post correct, you can use drumagog to trigger samples from the WAV of the kick and you won't have to convert anything to midi. Just cut up the WAV file and edit the kicks that way.

You can do as Lopes suggested, correct the original wav and then use drumagog, or you can use drumagog's MIDI out or use KTDrumTrigger. Watch out for the kicks' bleed in the overheads / snare / ride microphones if you want to correct kicks though...

You said you have the pulse from the kick trigger recorded as an audio track?
Then you should apply above mentioned KTDrumTrigger or Drumagog to that track. It should easier to get the midi data right from that track rather than the actual audio track of the kick drum.

Drumagog has a midi output. KTDrumTrigger is strictly a audio 2 midi-plugin, so it outputs only midi data. It's pretty good and it's also free.

KTDT is better for using in conjunction with something like Drumkit From Hell. I would use Drumagog, it's much easier for what you're describing. Just apply the plug-in (Drumagog) onto the kick's track, and start setting the trigger level, what kick, etc. You should be in business. It will now playback the sampled kick everytime the original triggers it. Very simple and easy.

~006

Allright then!

That sounds good everyone.. i have only tried the demo of drumagog so far, but it looks like i will be buying the software soon.. it's worth it. i have aptrigga as well, but drumagog always looked a bit better in terms of options and for jobs like this, it would work better..

Thanks!!!