Kickdrum, Protools, Midi??

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
I wanna fix some running kick drum parts in midi. I recorded our drummer and i have drumagog but i can not for the life of me get to midi in protools.

Our drummer had a hernia and is out for like a month or two for surgery and i would like him to get down better but we don't have him and i got a real good track just need to fix a few running the kick parts. So we have something to record to in the mean time.

I'm new to the whole drum editing thing but i figured it would be real easy to fix in midi and them use ezdrummer to play running kick parts and then blend samples with drumagog over ezdrummer kick. Then bam kicks are in time and smooth with out the hassle of getting in to deep with editing and sliding hit by hit.

Any other way to do this or get to midi??

I've never had to mess with midi for drums before, actually. In my experience, rolling off the low freqencies from the overheads has eliminated enough kick drum, so that I can adjust a sample as much as necessary, and the bass guitar alone is enough to make the adjustment not noticeable at all. However, this is in a situation where the kick drum is 100% replaced...but unless your real kick drum track sounds quite good (tonally), then you'll almost certainly get a better sound with 100% replacement anyway.

You can do it with drumagog.....Set a midi track up and point it to the audio track with drumagog on it.

I'm running drumagog as a vst plugin inside protools with fxpansion vst wrapper!

I think this is causing me not to be able to send midi some how??

I tried that other vst plugin audio to midi thing and no luck with that either.

Any other idea's guys???

yea but i run protools and seems vst plugs through the wrapper will not work with protools midi.

I'm almost guessing i need a rtas plug to make this happen...

Go to the drumagog website and there is a download for another mini app. that lets you do midi. You MUST have this in order for it to work in PT.

yeah kt etc wont run in pro tools, also the midi side of things with drumagog (which you will have to run as rtas to get this working) isn't very accurate from what i've seen, you'd be better off getting to grips with beat detective.