Report on recent live show....

Dustin

C-C-Cool Beans!!!
This was my post from the K5 mailing list about our recent gig... I figured I'd copy & past rather than explain it all again... Enjoy! :D

It was this past Saturday.... Let me tell you all the story... ;-)
well... it was a gig in Utah, what can I say... :lol:!!! Actually, the gig
went quite well considering the circumstances that encompassed the entire night. We had no sound check, and the sound guy LEFT THE BOARD once we started playing(WTF!?)and never returned!
yell.gif
The opening band played 45 min. longer than planned (only in trying to help us out though... it's a long story) which most of the crowd bailed out after our 5th or 6th song because of it being WAY late (or because we weren't death/thrash metal like the opening act...or a combination of both? hehehe!), we had beer spit at us from the balcony that got all over the pedal boards and the stage causing everything to be very slippery, then sticky towards the end of the set!(that being one of Matt's drunk friends having WAY to much fun! His new nick name is "The Spitter" now..sure to be a song in the future), not being able to
hear my bass at all on stage and only hearing Lynn's vocals BLARING through my monitor...except when one or two of the other guys stopped playing or went into their solo's, which in turn caused me to botch several intricate parts...and this was one of our better local shows!!! \m/

On the up side, we sold nearly every CD we brought with us which is a first for us at a local gig (previous local gigs... we've taken home what we brought with us...ugggg)! We also had a few people on the front of the stage(!!!) and others in the crowd singing along to the tunes which is also another first (and bizarre!) for a Utah show! It was one of the larger turn outs for the bar (according to the owner of the club... I've seen bigger there). Apparently there were even a few people underage that called the club or even attempted to get through the door to see the show, which I found to be impressive. It was a lot of fun, and we busted our balls! Hopefully those that left early were leaving with a good impression (and a CD???)... Lynn's live vocals were absolutely amazing, both Trevor & Curtis were tight as a nun with the guitar arrangements, and Matt played through without a hitch and added more flavor to the songs live than he does in rehearsal! ... I sucked monkey balls that night unfortunately \m/

oh... we got PAID! now THAT never happens...ANYWHERE! LMFAO!!!:headbang:

\m/
Dustin

P.S. It wasn't all that bad considering we haven't played our home state in almost a year... maybe we'll do it again :p

NP: Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla

I think it went well enough that everyone in the band is deciding on playing one more show this year... this time in our hometown of Salt Lake City. When or where is still being decided....

We have already begun the writting process for the follow-up album to ANBOR (I know... I know... it's not even out yet!!!), so playing another gig here will probably keep us from getting cabin fever! Were thinking of booking a show with 2-3 other progressive/power metal bands from both Utah and out of the state :D

\m/
Dustin

It seems like shows that you play in your home state always suck, specially if they are in your hometown. I would rather be out on the road playing. For example, right now, we wont touch a club in Dallas, the crowds are good, but it sucks playing a club as a local band regardless of what town your in. I guess I'll find out what it's like to be playing local shows in Utah pretty soon though, hopefully I get to make the trip, if not, then I wish ya all the best of luck.

Well, speaking of hometown shows... to add to the hometown greif, we've started the ball rolling on trying to book a show in Salt Lake City, and have had pretty much every club here turn us down (for a weekend show anyway...) and want to line us up with bands no where near our genre or style :err: (some which are god awful to say the least!). We have already planned out the show with the bands WE want to have play with us and were hoping to make it strictly a progressive/power metal show. Unfortunalty, this seems like it might not happen due to many of the clubs here making things more complicated than it needs to be.

Since it has become a fiasco of sorts... we had one or two amazing bands (one Prog, the other power metal) that we were going to bring in to play the show with us fromoutside of Utah, but at this rate... who knows. A lot of clubs here are stuggeling for buisness and with good reason...their politics on booking shows here is crap, and so are half the bands they allow on their stage. I'm quite offended we are even getting qustioned about our integrity as musicans by these clubs when trying to book a show.
eysupdown.gif

We have two more places we are scouting out... if they fall through, Katagory V may never get to play Salt Lake City this year... or at all :(

\m/
Dustin

NP: Maudlin of the Well - My fruit PsyhcoBells....

Tarkus said:
That sucks man. Who are these other prog/metal bands that you may be hooking up with? Curious.

well, because of the time frame and cost... it doesn't look like it will happen with these bands, but if we can still get them to come out and play we definatly will!:D it will depend on if we secure a venue in the next week. Once that's out of the way, we can hit them up about coming to Utah.

I can tell you this much about them... both have either played the Pre-party for the Progpower festival in the past...or have actually played the festival. That's all the info that I can divulge at this point.:saint:

\m/
Dustin

NP: Dimmu Borgir - P.E.M.