Requesting mix critique - my band's single

Tower

New Metal Member
Mar 20, 2013
Hello, everyone!
My band's just released it's first single, and I've been sitting behind the mixing desk (DAW, lol) myself... I also did all the tracking & mastering, etc.

I will also post my references, so you can all hear what I was aiming for. :)

Here's the song:

Drum sound & overall feel reference:

Bass & somewhat guitars reference:

Guitars & overall feel reference (skip to 2:25):

Vocals reference:

So, please, everybody, tell me what you think!
Cheers!

This song is sick; I really love the guitar work here! Everything in the mix is sounding pretty good, I personally like slightly louder guitars and think the snare could either go down a dB or guitars up a dB. The lead guitar tone is flawless though! Would you be interested in posting more details on the gear used or your mixing process?

The mix sounds otherwise really good, but the vocals are too quiet to my taste, if they were 1 dB louder the song would rock so much harder.

Thank you! Interesting, I had an argument with the guys in the band who were insisting i turn the vocals even more down. :)

This song is sick; I really love the guitar work here! Everything in the mix is sounding pretty good, I personally like slightly louder guitars and think the snare could either go down a dB or guitars up a dB. The lead guitar tone is flawless though! Would you be interested in posting more details on the gear used or your mixing process?

Thank you very much! :)
I think the problem with the guitars is more the sound itself, and not the loudness... They are a bit "cloudy", because I've taken out all the harsh frequencies around 2.5khz.

Here's more details about the gear:
Drums - Tama Starclassic Bubinga with Mapex Black Panther Machete snare drum.
Tom top heads - Evans G2 clear
Tom bottom - Evans G1 clear
Kick - Evans EQ2 and EQ2 resonant
Snare - Evans HD and Snare hazy 300
We used Gene Hoglan's signature ride and Rock Hats from Sabian. Anatolian Diamond crash and Sabian HHX crash.
I put a microphone on EVERYTHING. Even up to three on some elements. There were 25 mics total for the drums, i think, or more.

Bass was recorded with Ampeg SVT-VR with fresh tubes and it's own 6x10 cabinet. One AKGD112, one AKGC414XLii and one 57 used.
Bass guitar was Fender American Jazz Deluxe with active magnets.

Guitars were recorded through a Peavey 6505+ with TAD tubes and an ENGL VG412Pro cabinet, with a Maxon 808OD. Guitars used were Jackson Kelly KE3 with an EMG81 and a custom made Strat with a Duncan TB4 humbucker. I put just one 57 on one speaker, the classic Andy Sneap way.

Vocals - AKG C414XLii

Most of this stuff was borrowed though... :D

Borrowed or not,that's plenty of great stuff here!
Great sounding trackand mix, but I agree that the song would benefit from slightly louder vocals!
Not much to say apart from that, gerat job!