Requesting some help | TASCAM US 1642 I got yesterday

dirtlits

New Metal Member
Sep 9, 2010
This is my first post on the forums! :wave:

First off, I really want to thank everyone on here for sharing their wealth of knowledge. This site has been a fantastic resource for me lately since the need to do some band demos at home came up recently. Our band is going back into the studio in Jan to record our next CD, but this time we wanted to do mock studio recordings to finalize some vocals and possible minor song edits before going in. This way, we know 99% of what we want before stepping into the studio. That being said, I feel I have learned a ton over just the last few weeks from reading these forums, so I wanted to say thanks for that!

Ok, that being said, I figured I would ask the crowd and see what issues people have seen with the TASCAM US 1642 running Ableton Live 8 or another DAW. Also, TASCAMs technical support from what I is better to just avoid.

Here is what is going on

Let’s say I recorded 8 tracks simultaneously in Ableton Live 8. I am experiencing some pops and noise and some occasional stutter during playback with Ableton Live 8. This is when using the Tascam drivers or changing to the ASIO4ALL drivers. While the ASIO4ALL drivers does work “better” the issues and noise still remains. I even tried the new 2.02 drivers that were just posted on the .de site but not on the us site yet and still the same problem.

I also have a Line6 UX2 that I was using before this device, mainly for PodFarm. I can just go swap the ASIO device to the Line6UX2 and with the exact same file now has zero play back issues. Since the Line6UX2 has worked perfectly I can at least say that the TASCAM US 1642 device driver has either a conflict with something else specifically or doesn't like Windows 7 64 much. From here, I am trying to determine the best resolution to the problem.

What i have done so far

Installed a 1TB HD, put on Windows 7 64, installed the drivers, and the ASIO4all drivers and just the main software I typically use. I fixed the power management options for all the USB hubs and devices to ensure they are never powered off, which can reduce some issues. I also even tried to disable some of the inputs on the TASCAM to see if that reduced PC load during playback, but still didn’t help. So, what to do?

Possible resolutions

I found that theTASCAM US 1642 is known to have some issues with nvidia chipset powered USB ports. I am using a ASUS P5K-E motherboard; however, I cannot locate the brand of USB chipset. That being said, I probably need to put in a dedicated USB 2.0 card anyway so I know only 1 device is utilizing bandwidth on that card.

I have seen reports of soundcards conflicting with the device if the other cards are enabled in the device manager. While I could disable the soundcard, it seems a bit unnecessary.

If that doesn’t work, the last ditch effort is I could install Windows XPSP3 on my other drive, only install what I need and just boot into XP when running recording. I have heard that this runs solid on XPSP3.

What do you think?

All that said, has anyone else had this much problem, or have any other ideas? While I could send it back, 14 inputs for simultaneous recording is what we need to record full mixes of practice as well as a few other things. After buying mics, cables and other things, with this device only being $300 bucks, it would do exactly what we needed (if working flawlessly) so it would be nice to get this device working properly.

Thanks for any help you can give!

I've had the exact same problems with the Tascam and Fast Track.

I see a lot of people posting about this same problem.

Here's what fixed it for me:

Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Click on Network Adapters tab

DISABLE any wireless adapters

see if that helps. Works for me, but is sorta annoying to have to do every time I want to record, but only takes a few seconds.

Put the latency to "highest" into the 1641 panel

I do remember trying this as well. I also tried using the ASIO4ALL driver control panel and made some adjustments; however, still had the same issue.

DISABLE any wireless adapters

While my desktop doesn't technically have any installed, its highly possible that could be an issue too.

A few things to try tonight

I am going to install a seperate USB card just to run out any possible nvidia driver conflicts, then if that doesn't work I am going to create a new OS load with barebones, no active nic cards, and disable just about everything, but only load the DAW, drivers for the interface and VST's. So when I need to do solid recording, I can set the drive in the BIOS to the boot drive. This does provide the cleanest recording environment; however, is something I am going to try tonight with a 3rd drive I have, and put XPpro SP3 on it and test.

Ok, got the issue resolved sort of.

I loaded XP SP3 on another drive with only the miminal items I needed for audio and the results were pretty major and it's working perfectly now. I am going to do some major testing this weekend, but it looks to be running great and zero issues so far.

I would assume the drivers just don't play well with 64 bit 7 or possibly Vista, but 32 bit XP SP3 works how it should work.