Retribution!

Kenneth R.

Cináed
Oct 28, 2004
Hallways of Always
Is awesome.

I'd like to know what you think the songs are about, it has been a fun puzzle for me.

1.Inequality, class divide?
2. Satan's perspective
3. Not doing enough to really solve the problem, haven't figured this one out.
4. Here I came up with a bunch of different ideas too.
5. Cults
6. Conjoined twins?
7. Ernest Shackleton! I'm a fan of the guy.
8. Jimi, Kurt, and others who died early.
9. Nobel, Oppenheimer?
10. Many ideas again.

This is a phenomenal record. Dan sounds better than ever, all the right elements are in place for this to be a classic and a prog album of the year contender. Songs like On Stolen Wings, Divided I Fall and The Voyage of Endurance, are masterpieces. Excellent work Mr. Swano.

I'm listening to it right now and can't help but wonder if Dan and Dag will ever run out of catchy melodies. It's a well that hasn't run dry, even after 20+ years. I'm loving every track!

I love it all too,great work, hope to seeing you live in italy,worth waiting all these years since "white darkness",besides this is the soundtrack of my time in hospital,thank to all of you,proud of being your fan

I agree with that. This does seem to be the pinnacle of their career. Literally every song is just brilliant. The writing is their strongest, the melodies are so creative and catchy, the vocals are killer (always are but this may be Dan's best yet) and the lyrics especially are just so poetic.

Is awesome.

I'd like to know what you think the songs are about, it has been a fun puzzle for me.

1.Inequality, class divide?
2. Satan's perspective
3. Not doing enough to really solve the problem, haven't figured this one out.
4. Here I came up with a bunch of different ideas too.
5. Cults
6. Conjoined twins?
7. Ernest Shackleton! I'm a fan of the guy.
8. Jimi, Kurt, and others who died early.
9. Nobel, Oppenheimer?
10. Many ideas again.

1. I think either Dan or Dag has said that it's about someone taking your ideas/credit, sort of the business version of a vampire.
3. My guess is climate change.
4. Definitely something about the conquistadors and the Incas/Mayans/etc. Possibly the Battle of Mataquito? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mataquito
5. Jonestown. Prior to 9/11, the mass suicide there was the single largest loss of American lives in history.
7. The most insane part of that whole expedition is that NOBODY DIED. Even when Shackleton took a couple of men out in a rowboat for a two week trip across the most treacherous waters in the world, and the guys left on Elephant Island had to make camp under another rowboat.
8. The legend of the "27 Club". The song specifically covers Robert Johnson, Hendrix, and Cobain.
9. I don't think it's Nobel or Oppenheimer. The song seems to be about a genius who, for some reason, retreats into his mind and can't do his work anymore. I've spent a while looking for someone who would fit, but I can't come up with anyone.
10. I really, really, really, want to believe that this is something to do with the Breathing Shadow story - the tone of the song, the gloomy sounds at the end, it really sounds like it would fit there. I doubt it though.

The album as a whole is just awesome, and I love how many little nods there are to other bands - Lucifer's Lament sounds like something King's X might have written.

Definitely one of the best albums I've heard in years. I was so looking forward to the new Opeth album, then this (Retribution) sorta came out of nowhere, and fucking bamm, it's better than Pale Communion!
Well done fella's!