ReVamp (ex After Forever vocalist Floor Jansen)

Diamond45

Terminate Bad Music
Feb 22, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA USA
www.dmine.com
I know that Floor Jansen's new band ReVamp has been mentioned on here before, but their new album was released in Europe today, and will be released in the US on July 27th.

Check out the samples on MySpace:

http://www.myspace.com/revamp

:OMG::OMG::OMG:

This album kicks solid ass! I cannot wait to buy this when it comes out! I may have to order it early instead of waiting to get it at ProgPower!! :headbang::kickass::worship:

I think I'm in the minority here, but while I like it, it just doesn't grab me. Honestly, it just seems like another female-led "gothic" metal album.

Very excited about this album! Actually had it on my list to order from CD Inzane this week. What I've heard of ReVamp so far just reminds me a lot of the most recent After Forever, which is OK by me since the s/t was my favorite album of theirs. Wish I could afford to make it to FMV Fest to see ReVamp this year. I'm glad to see that they are not just a studio band/project.

I preordered mine from CD Inzane a few weeks ago, came in the mail today. Very excited to hear this, as I love Floor. At first I didn't like Head Up High that much, but it & the live clips I've watched have grown on me.

I remember reading somewhere that when she started making her own band REVAMP, she specified what gender of musicians she wanted and what style. I think I'll start a discussion on that, hopefully it'll reach 10 pages. It would seem a very fascinating topic.

I remember reading somewhere that when she started making her own band REVAMP, she specified what gender of musicians she wanted and what style. I think I'll start a discussion on that, hopefully it'll reach 10 pages. It would seem a very fascinating topic.

Someone in the forum had sand in his pants because he thought it was discrimination. I still find it rather funny. :lol:

Anyways, the album is solid. I need a few more spins for it to totally grab me, but I have a feeling it will eventually. Anything that Floor sings on (or I should say most music), is great.

If you want me to re-open that can of worms, I'll comment that the album isn't as good as it would have been had she had a female guitar player.:)

Actually, from the snippets I've heard, it's a big nothingburger. I expected her to try something adventurous given what was done in After Forever, but it sounds like she's trying to just capture the current trend.

That thread struck a chord in er, dozens of forum members. Even Rand Paul commented on it, he was like, "yeah, it's totally okay, it's her band."

Someone in the forum had sand in his pants because he thought it was discrimination. I still find it rather funny. :lol:
I still find it rather funny that some people in the forum don't know what the definition of "discrimination" actually is:
treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit
Floor specified men only, no girls. Gender has nothing to do with merit. That doesn't mean that Floor isn't/wasn't allowed to discriminate based on her personal preferences and what she envisioned for her band, but that is exactly what she did - discriminate. People should be able to accept that fact and still enjoy Floor's music because all music is created based on the personal preferences of the artist. I got the impression that adaher mainly pointed out her preference because he thought it was interesting topic since Floor (being a pretty influential woman in metal) was choosing not to use her influence to bring light to other talented women musicians within the genre. It is what it is, but apparently no one was supposed to discuss their thoughts or feelings on that topic.

Megawozniak said:
Obviously, it was such an fascinating topic for discussion on this forum, since people had such strong and differing feelings about it, making the thread last for 4 pages (not 10). It must have been fascinating since you felt the need to bring it up again. :heh: I mean, we all know that there are absolutely NO OTHER THREADS on this forum that GO ON FOR MULTIPLE PAGES based purely on fan speculation and opinion that debate the decisions of metal bands and their members, so why start now? :rolleyes:

That said, Floor decided to work with all male musicians for this new band and I think what they've created together sounds pretty good - at least what I've heard so far. I'm looking forward to checking out the new album in it's entirety.

I still find it rather funny that some people in the forum don't know what the definition of "discrimination" actually is:

Floor specified men only, no girls. Gender has nothing to do with merit. That doesn't mean that Floor isn't/wasn't allowed to discriminate based on her personal preferences and what she envisioned for her band, but that is exactly what she did - discriminate. People should be able to accept that fact and still enjoy Floor's music because all music is created based on the personal preferences of the artist. I got the impression that adaher mainly pointed out her preference because he thought it was interesting topic since Floor (being a pretty influential woman in metal) was choosing not to use her influence to bring light to other talented women musicians within the genre. It is what it is, but apparently no one was supposed to discuss their thoughts or feelings on that topic.

Obviously, it was such an fascinating topic for discussion on this forum, since people had such strong and differing feelings about it, making the thread last for 4 pages (not 10). It must have been fascinating since you felt the need to bring it up again. :heh: I mean, we all know that there are absolutely NO OTHER THREADS on this forum that GO ON FOR MULTIPLE PAGES based purely on fan speculation and opinion that debate the decisions of metal bands and their members, so why start now? :rolleyes:

That said, Floor decided to work with all male musicians for this new band and I think what they've created together sounds pretty good - at least what I've heard so far. I'm looking forward to checking out the new album in it's entirety.

pwned!!! :D

I'm looking forward to hearing the new album. It sounds like a few people are disappointed, though. So now I'm a touch apprehensive about the new album. But I still expect I'll enjoy it.

Glenn and I listened to ReVamp this weekend, and I really liked it. Her vocals were solid and her duet with Russell was satisfying. Thumbs up.

~Jen

On the first few listens, I really like it, particularly Sweet Curse w/ Russel Allen, and the three In Sickness 'till Death Do Us Part songs (though I think Disdain could have been better off without the guest appearance by Speed from Soilwork.)

I like it quite a bit, but, just like Head Up High was at the beginning, I expect it to grow on me a bit more, as I stop trying to hold it up to comparison with the After Forever albums.