Review: 12AX7 from TheTubeStore.com

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey gang,

For some time I've been considering replacing my 5150's preamp tubes. It's a very early model, with the EVH signature on the front. This amp has had the bias mod installed & is running a set of JJ power tubes.

On my last project, the guitarist made an off hand comment that struck a chord with me: "The guitars have a slight fuzziness to them." Ok, when the clients notice, it's time for a change! The tubes in the amp were the originals... with the "made in China" sticker on them. 8th generation, if I'm not mistaken.

Well, I've heard some great things about the 9th Gen Chinese 12AX7, which I believe goes under the "Shugang" label...

Alright, so I know what to get. I picked thetubestore.com because of it's geographical location. It's in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. It's about 4 hours away & it's also my home town. It also means no border hold-ups or brokerage fees from the shipping company.

It turns out thetubestore.com will sell balanced triodes for an extra $5, and match from tube to tube as well. The tubes themseleves are about $10 each, BTW. I bought a matched and balanced quintet for an extra $25. Not really too expensive, considering these are going into my main recording amp! I think the whole thing cost about $110 USD, including shipping, GST & PST. (goddamn government!)

Now what blew me away was that I shipped via a 2-3 business day service & got the tubes the next morning! Fucking great!

First thing I noticed: No more stickers on the tubes: These have "Made in China" inked on the glass. Cool.
Since the whole set has balanced triodes, installation is a no brainer: Just drop them in & don't worry about which socket is the phase inverter.

Ok, so the tubes went in without any grief, time for a test drive!

Analysis: These tubes are certainly cleaner, that's for sure! I noticed slightly less gain, but this was offset by a much tighter bottom end, more harmonic content in the mids, and a cleaner, less fizzy top. That & the fuzziness disappeared. Overall, I'm very happy with the tone of these tubes... they were exactly what I was looking for. That & the turnaround time from the store was freakin' unbeatable. If you're looking for replacement tubes, I'd recommend checking them out!

-0z-

yeah, I've used thetubestore and i wouldn't go with anyone else now, I feel confident with them, that they know what they're sending me.
I would also like to hear the before and after clips, my friend's 5150 needs some sort of help, and I'm not sure what his preamp tubes are, but I know he's never had to change them either. He does have some Power tubes that I'm not really farmiliar with too...svetlana or something

So how often should pre amp tubes be replaced in relation to the poweramp tubes?

It all depends on how much you use the amp. If you are playing several times a week for a few hours at a time I would change preamp tubes yearly and poweramp tubes every other. However - if you are gigging a lot, taking the amps from cold weather to a hot stage to cold weather your tube life will be a lot less.

Let your ears be the best judge - when you start to notice that your sound isn't as defined, it's probably time to change your preamp tubes. When you have to turn the volume up more so that you are at the same volume as you were 6 months ago, it's time to change power amp tubes.

You think? I've heard many techs say you don't need to change pre tubes nearly as often as power tubes due to the lower voltages or something supplied to the pre's vs. the higher voltage supplied to power tubes.

I've never heard pre tubes needed to be changed more than power tubes. I've always heard the opposite. And, if you have your amp biased hot, then power tube life is decreased even further.

You think? I've heard many techs say you don't need to change pre tubes nearly as often as power tubes due to the lower voltages or something supplied to the pre's vs. the higher voltage supplied to power tubes.

I've never heard pre tubes needed to be changed more than power tubes. I've always heard the opposite. And, if you have your amp biased hot, then power tube life is decreased even further.

Perhaps this is true. Preamp tubes are so cheap I do them yearly just from habit. However, wehn I couldn't really afford to do that my preamp tubes always went out before my poweramp tubes.... could have just been me though :)

I've heard many techs say you don't need to change pre tubes nearly as often as power tubes due to the lower voltages or something supplied to the pre's vs. the higher voltage supplied to power tubes.

I've heard that from people too, but since people are changing pre amp tubes, I was sort trying to see if it's a necessity, or just to try get a different character from the amp, to find "their" sound.

Cool. I think that in the next year, maybe not at the same time as the power tube replacement, I'll give those 9th Gen Shugang's a go in the pre section to see how I like them.
I'm happy with the general tone I'm getting out of the old JSX, but it could use some taming in the higher register.