Review: Devin Townsend: Addicted

Progmetalism

New Metal Member
Jan 14, 2010
Devins second album under the name "Devin Townsend Project" is Addicted. Where KI was a quiet more ambieniced and serious intro to an continuin of four releases, Addicted is the straightforward and if you want(Commercial) one
"Addicted" kicks the show off with the title track which is a good opener with a much more straightforward and dry sound as we´re used to. The intro builds up with a grovie and right in ya face mainriff followed by some choirs with the other singer on the album "Anneka Van Giersberg" Then the rest of the song pretty much just goes from verse to choros with a very Steve Vaiesh middle section. Pretty good opener. 4/3:5
Universe in a ball: Well, symphonic Nu-Metal, with it´ s repeatetly UNIVERSE IN A BALL lines, which try to build up to a climatic choros which drags a little out in my opinion and falls a little flad. Allover a good track where the verse is it´ s highpoint! 4:5
WTF? and no no no no!:worship:lol: Bend It Like A Bender is the third track and are hillarious in it´ s own way, but i try to skip it as much as possible cause it´ s all in all just annoying, especially the afterski/eurodance like choros which is sung by the IMHO a little decent Anneka thou her voice actually fits okay on the album, thou not as good as on Ayreon especially.3:5
Now great stuff begins to happen. Supercrush starts out with one of the most epic intros a song can have with lots of heavy guitars and choirs only to be followed by a greater instrumental choros section. The verse is soft and sensitive and here Annekas voice really comes to it´s right. It´ s just verse and choros and then a bit chaotic towards the end. 4/3:5
"Hyperdrive" is just a new version of the original from Ziltoid just a little more upbeat and sung by Anneka. Nowhere NEAR the original and try to skip it. 2/5:5
Resolve: The choros does nothing to me and the lyrics downright sucks, see what i mean, the ocean returns to the sea ore something like that! The rest of the song kicks some serious butt thou! 4/1:5
"Ih Ah" is a little quiet simple song which in it´ s own right are a nice and fresh skip from the of the most of the time loud screaming Devin. Really simple but honest song 3/8:5
"The Way Home" Kicks off with a wonderfull sung verse by deve with it´ s lots of ambience create some of the Townsend atmosphere we know and love! But like the rest of the album i seem to like the verses more, but it has a nice builup towards the end! Give it 4:5
Numbered kicks of with a:headbang: heavy riff followed by a atmospheric choros sung by Anneka where it leads over in a nice verse section sung by Devin, it´ s one of the best tracks and has a nice mittlesection as well. Give it 4/5:5
Seems like he chose to hide some great surprices at the end! Awake has probably the most grovie verse while the choros is just as epic sung by both devin and anneka where it shift over in a more kick ass bridge section and a kickass outro as well which smoothly goes from heavy to ambience and electronic beats! 5/5
All in all a good album, has it´ s highpoints and lowpoints. It´ s meant to be cheesy and are indeet cheesy at times.
Would highly recommend it as essential for any die hard Townsend fanboy like me. And to the rest, listen to it before buying and tjeck out some of his previews works allso. Rock on :headbang:

One thing I have to say is please space out the words and make it look a little more organized/professional. I'm just seeing a wall of text tbh.

I haven't checked this out, and here me out, I'm not a Townsend fan, I prefer SYL over Devin Townsend Band ANY DAY. SYL just sounds better, though I haven't listened to either in a while.