TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
Artist: Devin Townsend Band
Title: Synchestra
Release Date: 2006
Label: InsideOut

Imagine one moment you are sitting under a tree on beautiful summer afternoon. The wind is blowing, the air is warm and you are at complete peace. The next minute you are running through a dark forest being chased and scared for your life. It is safe to say I have never before heard an album quite like this. Having never before listened to the Devin Townsend Band I was shocked at how far removed this is from Devin’s other band Strapping Young Lad. Devin described Sychestra as being one big song and I can see where he is coming from with that. Pushing his limits with the last SYL album "Alien" is what truly aloud Devin to bring out this side of him for Synchestra and be completely happy with it and push the limits here as well. The album has some heavy moments and some soft moments. Mostly clean understandable vocals and then when you least expect it a touch of extreme harsher vocals. Progressive metal is the main thing represented throughout this album but I have never heard it quite like this before. It has it’s moments where I am ready to pull out the Dream Theater card but before it gets carried away with that style it changes to something completely different and original. Fans of Finntroll will be happy with "Vampolka". "Triumph" is a stand out track, which will appeal to fans of big rock anthems. The vocals are what really shine here and stand out the most on the album. Just when you think the album is going one way that sudden turn is made and you are going in a new direction. Fans of Devin and SYL will not be disappointed. Listening to this album had me on my feet wondering what was to come next.

http://www.metalasylum.net

Truly there is nothing this man can do wrong. Even his Project Eko is way too cool. Its too bad he is going on a year long hiatus now because I think he is really beginning to peak with his ideas and talents.

Its a good album for sure, but its not a classic like infinity, ocean machine or terria, those are sooooo gooood.
i'm waiting to have that feeling again with a new Dev album, the last two Dev solo albuns and 3 Syl albuns were just good. i want masterpieces!

Authentic Metalhead said:
I've actually never heard any of Devin's work outside of SYL. I've been meaning to check it out, but I keep putting it off. Not sure why. :rolleyes:

Post your thoughts here after you've listened to it. I'm interested in hearing about how it goes. When I first heard DTB (Terria) I threw it off. I didn't like it at all. I wanted the insanity of SYL. But after many listens you find that DTB has just as much insanity as SYL just from a different musical approach.

THis album rocks, the first three songs alone are amazing and then you get Vampira which sounds closer to SYL. This is just a great album.