Review the CDs you picked up at PP

Yippee38

Living the dream!
Oct 8, 2002
Somewhere at 33,000'
Visit site
new Zero Hour (I refuse to type the whole name) - Good, but not great. I like the vocals. The music sounds like a bit of a rehash though. Some of the passages are VERY reminiscint of their previous music. Too much so IMO.

Manticora - The Black Circus Pt. 1 - Wow! I liked 8 Deadly Sins, but I like this one even more. The only downside to it is that it feels like then ending is like watching a TV show and the screen goes black and it says, "...to be continued..." It really feels like it cuts off in the middle of what should be one continuous piece of music. Great CD otherwise though. I'd love to see them at PPIX doing the entire "The Black Circus" start to finish.

Benedictum - Uncreation - I found these guys on myspace and kinda liked what I heard. After listening to the CD, I'm completely blown away by the singer's voice. It's really cool. This is female fronted power metal for people who don't like female fronted metal bands. I kept waiting for her to start singing, then she switched to some higher register stuff and I realized it was her all along. The music is pretty straight ahead, American power metal with drop tuned guitars. The first two songs on the CD are very strong. The rest aren't bad, but not great. There are two Black Sabbath covers (Dio era) toward the end. Solid CD. Her voice is incredible though.

Thunderstone - Tools of Destruction - After seeing them at PP I thought they were pretty good, but didn't expect to be blown away by their CD. I'm not. It's really good though, and not at all what I was expecting. It is more varied than I was expecting, and the vocalist keeps reminding me of David Coverdale (though not nearly as blatantly as Jorn does). It's good, unremarkable, power metal.

Riverside - Voices in my Head - Not bad. Very mellow. Very Riverside. It's got 5 songs on it that were not previously released. They are good, but all very mellow. It's got three live recordings from the first album. They sound great, but don't really add to the disc. They should have just released it as a $9 EP.

More to come.

I only bought five discs at Prog Power, but I think I can properly review four of them.

Wolverine - Still -- Dark, and moody progressive metal, with an excellent singer (Stephan Zell). The disc is slower tempo in nature, but there is just enough metal on here to make it all work for me. Excellent lyrics, and well done tunes. I've long had the mp3's, so it was high time to purchase a copy. This will be a top 5 disc for me this year.

Firewind - Allegiance -- Firewind's best IMO, and pretty diverse overall. Apollo, the new singer, is terrific. I think he's a great fit for this band, plus the guitar play of Gus G. is also a treat. There's a male/female duet on here called Breaking The Silence which is just an excellent track. This is a probable top 10 disc for me.

Communic - Waves Of Visual Decay -- I like their debut just a bit better (a little more atmosphere), but they sounded so similar to Nevermore that it took me a while to get past it. This time out they are finding a bit of their own sound ... which is heavier than the debut. Good disc ... probable top 15 for me this year.

Into Eternity - The Scattering Of Ashes -- Love this disc .. I've had the mp3's for quite a while, and snatched this up as soon as I saw it at Prog Power. This band amazes me with how they can go from brutal to technical to super melodic, and catchy choruses. It's just memorable stuff. The new singer fits in real well, and does a really nice job on the disc. It's pretty much a definate top 5 for me so far this year.

Zero Hour - Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond -- I haven't spun this one yet ... might do it right now. ZH is definately music that I have to be in the mood for.

Britt

DarkTide said:
I only bought five discs at Prog Power, but I think I can properly review four of them.

Wolverine - Still -- Dark, and moody progressive metal, with an excellent singer (Stephan Zell). The disc is slower tempo in nature, but there is just enough metal on here to make it all work for me. Excellent lyrics, and well done tunes. I've long had the mp3's, so it was high time to purchase a copy. This will be a top 5 disc for me this year.

Zero Hour - Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond -- I haven't spun this one yet ... might do it right now. ZH is definitely music that I have to be in the mood for.
Britt

Wolverine- Still-- I agree, this disc excels at drawing you into the music.
An excellent mood setter.

Zero Hour- Specs.... I love this, if you like Towers, you should like this.

Mindflow- Mind Over Body-- WOW! A must for POS fans, but there's more here than cloning. Lots of changes and way cool grooves, Spastic Ink also comes to mind. My fav purchase from PP.:worship:

Seventh Wonder-Waiting in the Wings-- Another happy purchase! Nice flow and just enough hooks. A good mix of Prog and Power.

Twisted into Form-Then Comes Affliction to Awaken the Dreamer-- Think Spiral Architect, Technical metal with clean vocals.

Shiiiiiite. Is going to be a long post and I'm not in the mood so I'll basically make a nutshell version:

Tank - "Power Hunter"
Tank -"This Means War"
Tank -"Honour And Blood"
Tank -"Still At War"

Tank is one of those very underrated NWOBHM bands that still kick ass. With those I only need one more (the S/T) to have the whole collection. It's straightforward metal in your face deeply based on Motorhead in the beginning and then develop into a regular very heavy war machine.

Tarot - "The Spell Of Iron" (remaster)
Tarot - "Stigmata" (remaster)

Hadn't check them tho' since I'm hauling the rest of them in the next months, then I'll sit and enjoy my Tarot collection (hoping the new one is also out by then). On the other hand is Tarot major glory from Finland to a world hungry for good metal, so not much review is needed.

Riot - "Narita" (reissue)

Finally in my hands a gem among gems. The second Riot album is a major ass kicker which developes a pre-power sound that will shape the mband (and many bands to follow) in the years to come definitively an album ahead of it's time. I'm not sure yet about the Forrester era, but the rest of the collection is a must be for serious metalheads.

Camel - "Camel" (remaster)
Camel - "Moonmadness" (remaster)
Camel - "The Snow Goose" (remaster)
Camel - "Mirage" (remaster)

It's Camel another underrated gem of the golden era of progressive rock and from England (have to love prog rock from the Brits definitively the best in the field).

Uriah Heep - "Very 'Umble, Very 'Eavy" (remaster)
Uriah Heep - "The Magician's Birthday" (remaster)
Uriah Heep - "Salisbury" (remaster)
Uriah Heep - "Look At Yourself" (remaster)

Same as above, the complete classic Uriah Heep (I already own "Demons & Wizards") you wanna know where Shadow gallery and many other prog metal bands came with their sound from then check UH.

Leatherwolf - "Leatherwolf"
Leatherwolf - "Leatherwolf" (two different albums with the same name)
Leatherwolf - "Street Ready"
Leatherwolf - "World Asylum"

The band that brought me to my knees during PPVII, how come they went under my radar during the 80s is a more than mystery, a sin. You have to love USA metal from that era so many underrated bands that went obscured by thrash or glam (go check also Hawk, Gargoyle, Warlord, Culprit)
(these guys converted me absolutely, I love this pure metal outfit)

Blitzkrieg - "Absolute Power"
Gaskin - " Stand Or Fall"
Sweet Savage - "Rune"

NWOBHM the best era of metal, there'sno way you can go wrong with those bands even if these are 2000 albums they still got what it takes

Pretty Maids - "Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing"

A classic band thatn I'm discovering bit by bit, also recently acquired "Red, Hot & Heavy" and "Future World" and going for more if I can. A band that definitively got a great influence in newer power and melodic metal bands.

Chris Poland - "Rare Trax"

The last Poland album I need for my collection. I love guitar albums and I have discovered than besides the obvious masters (Vai, Satriani, MacAlpine) also is worth to check albums from people that usually played in a band as another member but their solo stuff is totally awsome (James Murphy, John Petrucci, Kiko Loureiro).

easy version:
Twisted into Form - 7/10
Trouble - Manic Frustration - 10/10 (wow!)
Arcturus DVD - 7/10
Spiritual Beggars - s/t - 8/10
Adagio - Dominate - 8/10
Freak Kitchen - Move - 9/10
Freak Kitchen - Dead Soul Men - 8/10
Blind Guardian - A Twist in the Myth - 8/10
Vision Divine - The Perfect Machine - 6/10
Nevermore - s/t reissue - 6/10 content, 8/10 production
Dark Angel - Live Scars - 6/10

General Zod said:
You'll need to be more specific. Whenever I think of any band, I immediately think, "Hey, these guys are exponentially better than Spiral Architect."

Zod

Well, if your main complaint about SA was the vocals, TIF is a vast improvement, despite the singer being the same. Overall, the disc has a much tighter feel to it than SA did. I'm not at all upset about having picked up this disc.

Nightingale - The Closing Chronicles - I have "I" and "Alive Again". I think this one is pretty comparable to those, but maybe a bit less conventional. If you like the two above, I think you'll like this one.