Revisiting Jugulator

Vicious Robbie

Faithful Neon Dreamer
When Pounding opened up the thread for Demolition, it made me go back to this album in order to make the proper comparisons. I think this record is better than Demolition but just barely and yes, it was shock to hear Priest sound like this. I didn't mind the heaviness but it was the lack of melody and the downright ludicrous lyrics which made me wonder: is this Priest? There are a few decent tracks like the title track, Death Row, Burn in Hell and Bullet Train. Cathedral Spires is the only great track from the album and the one that gives me that melody that reminds of Priest. Now, the bad is really bad. There are abominations like Abductors, Dead Meat:)Puke: Wyvy was trying to remember the name of this one, it's really that bad!), Blood Stained, Decapitate and Brain Dead that simply make me wonder what was Tipton thinking at the time. That's half the record which makes for a sub-par album. Yet, Tipton would outdo himself on the next record.

If I could call it in some way, I would say that this is the record where Priest reached their mid-life crisis. My feelings at the time were of shock and disappointment. I am still disaapointed by this record but every time I listen to Cathedral, I keep thinking that there was potential that was wasted with this line-up. And please...stop the useless intros!:ill:

There are a few decent tracks like the title track, Death Row, Burn in Hell and Bullet Train. Cathedral Spires is the only great track from the album and the one that gives me that melody that reminds of Priest. Now, the bad is really bad. There are abominations like Abductors, Dead Meat:)Puke: Wyvy was trying to remember the name of this one, it's really that bad!), Blood Stained, Decapitate and Brain Dead that simply make me wonder what was Tipton thinking at the time. That's half the record which makes for a sub-par album. Yet, Tipton would outdo himself on the next record.

Wait a second:

a) the one I was trying to remember that night was 'Decapitate' which is so bad I don't know why I listen to it :lol:

b) 'Deam Meat' is great! We never have been able to see eye to eye on that one :heh: :p

For the rest I guess we mostly agree, still unlike "Demolition" it's an album I can listen entirely. Which is weird considering I don't listen to all "Hell Bent For Leather", "British Steel", "Point Of Entry", "Screaming For Vengeance", "Turbo", "Ram It Down", "Angel Of Retribution" (and skip totally "Nostradamus" :devil: ). Now I'm kind of afraid to revisit "Jugulator" :ill:

Jug U Later :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Anyway, Spires is THE classic from the album and is 1 of my top 3 songs of the 90's.

Lyrically, the rest of the album is horrendous but the intent was to put out a HEAVY Heavy Metal album. Not thrash, death, traditional etc.

this album is better than demolition for sure. i agree the lyrics are a bit middle school sounding but its so heavy i forgive that sometimes. ripper blew my face off with this album

I'll echo the sentiments above. musically good, lyrically cheesy. I mean Priest lyrics are cheesy at best of times with Halford ... but without it's just juvenile. But it is a good album ... just not a good Priest album.

Although I haven't listened to 'Ripper'-era Priest in a couple of years, I recall Jugulator to be an okay album. Even some of the songs which previous posters have ripped on - like Abductors or Decapitate.. hell, even Dead Meat - are pretty sweet, albeit very modern sounding, metal songs. If memory serves me, they sound a lot better on the Live Meltdown '98 album though..
Cathedral Spires alone lifts this album way above Demolition but the aforementioned songs together with the titletrack and Bullet Train (another really good tune) are enough to also make it a lot more consistent of an album.
Still.. it doesn't hold up to many of the previous Priest efforts.

Edit before edit:
I realise now that I was probably thinking of Brain Dead, which is a pretty catchy, heavy song.. Dead Meat is both crappy and forgettable at the same time.

Edit before edit:
I realise now that I was probably thinking of Brain Dead, which is a pretty catchy, heavy song.. Dead Meat is both crappy and forgettable at the same time.

Funny to me is the other way around :lol:

I'm listening to the album right now.. and I have to give Dead Meat a little vindication. It's pretty good.. the chorus is still pretty MEH.. but overall it's not bad at all..
The album as a whole is a positive surprise.

Jugulator and Beer would probably lead to good things. I shall investigate.