Revisiting Demolition

poundingmetal74

Demons Will Fly
Oct 18, 2004
Canada, eh
www.finalstage.ca
I remember hearing Demoltiion by Priest 10-ish years ago on radio during an interview with Glenn Tipton, during which they played roughly half of the album. I was very unimpressed at the time and have since tried revisiting it 2-3 times since, all to disappointment.

For whatever reason I picked this up for $2 from the bargain bin (I suppose for completion's sake at a low price) and to my surprise it's not bad at all. By no means a classic but tracks like One on One and Bloodsuckers kick serious ass hearkening back to the Painkiller days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost creepy that you brought this one up. I took "Demolition" for a spinning (minus the umbereable tracks) 2 days ago. I was thinking on how much I don't play that album (or others) as I use too.

When I arrived to USA to study, I clearly remember I was still living in a hotel and just bought a Sony CD/tape portable boombox to play the tapes I brought with me from Costa Rica (yes I did took my entire collection with me, recorded more over three years and took them all back safely). "Demolition" was among the first 2-3 CDs I bought while living there and it really grab me wrong fromthe start.

I think (moreover looking at Tipton's solo albums) that Glenn really wasn't thinking on where to take Priest for sure, he got the talent but misplaced it. KK probably was just tagging along, and poor Owens still was just a gun for hire.

All and all, I can rescue a great song IMO from "Demolition" which is 'Close To You', a ballad that really shakes me to the bone :headbang:. Some other songs that didn't were awful included 'Machine Man', 'One On One', 'Hell Is Home'.
What I can't forgive is 'Metal Messiah', that song have a chorus to die for, but the rest is the worst crap any band can do on a really bad day with intention of extreme damage :heh:

And finally what breaks my heart is that not even Halford's return heal the wound, as 'Nostradamus' is an aberration (with my apologies to those of you who like it) beyond redemption :erk:

And finally what breaks my heart is that not even Halford's return heal the wound, as 'Nostradamus' is an aberration (with my apologies to those of you who like it) beyond redemption :erk:

Sounds like you need a copy of my 75-minute version of it where I chopped all the long boring passages and really weak or "non-songs" out. It sounds a lot better when it's taken as more of a "pop" album with individual songs.

There were some very good songs on Nostradamus.

I have fond memories of the album (working in California at the time) and still play it regularly. There are bits that probably don't match expectations or perceptions of what Priest should be but so what?!?

Demolition makes Jugulator seem awesome in comparison.
As Wyvern pointed out, Close to You is a pretty good track.. but there are some really unbearably bad tracks on there as well which makes for a very unpleasant listening experience overall.

Not into Demolition so much...the direction Glenn took with that one missed me. But, Jugulator was a hard hitter for me. I mean I had a serious..."whoa!"...moment when I listened to it the 1st time. Jugulator, Blood Stained, Decapitate, & Cathedral Spires are ace JP material IMO.

As you know I'm the biggest Owens nutswinger on this forum and I can't stomach the thing. The only decent tracks is Machine Man and if you got the import you got that line-up's take on Rapid Fire and Green Manalishi.... In short I loath Demolition it sealed the deal for Rob's return.

As you know I'm the biggest Owens nutswinger on this forum and I can't stomach the thing. The only decent tracks is Machine Man and if you got the import you got that line-up's take on Rapid Fire and Green Manalishi.... In short I loath Demolition it sealed the deal for Rob's return.

I agree with Sixx that it sealed the deal for Rob's return. Wyv and I were talking about that album about a week ago and we agreed that it probably has three or four tracks worth listening to but the material is even worse than Jugulator's. It's not Tim's fault by any means but the songwriting is atrocious. I mean, Demolition does not have a single track that compares to Cathedral Spires (which I think it's the best song on Jug). It has to be one of Priest's lowest points along with Nostradamus.:cry:

I mean, Demolition does not have a single track that compares to Cathedral Spires (which I think it's the best song on Jug). It has to be one of Priest's lowest points along with Nostradamus.:cry:

And here we are again re-enforcing that conversation. Along with Korruptor and Sixx I think we all have the same vision about the album.

Demolition makes Jugulator seem awesome in comparison.
As Wyvern pointed out, Close to You is a pretty good track.. but there are some really unbearably bad tracks on there as well which makes for a very unpleasant listening experience overall.

I think that summarizes it very well :)

Besides Ripper, I'm pretty sure Jugulator was the reason I never bought, downloaded, or even heard Demolition. Doesn't sound like I'm missing out on anything...

I actually really enjoyed this album. Very diverse styles. I was lucky enough to see priest on this tour and they blew me away. Its too bad they felt the need to get halford back and release the pile of crap that was angel of retribution. Nostradamus was better especially if you like the 70’s priest stuffa s I do but I saw priest on that tour and halford was well below what I hoped for. He couldn’t handle the vocals now the way ripper did. Its like replacing Lebron James with Michael Jordan. Sure in his prime Jordan was better but in 2010 he’s not

I actually really enjoyed this album. Very diverse styles. I was lucky enough to see priest on this tour and they blew me away. Its too bad they felt the need to get halford back and release the pile of crap that was angel of retribution.

My sentiments are the exact opposite. Hellrider is also, IMO, the best song priest has released since Painkiller.

Its too bad they felt the need to get halford back and release the pile of crap that was angel of retribution.

Yes it does sound like a bunch of leftovers (and probably is), but I rather have that than the industrial/core idea behind "Demolition" or the megalomaniacal boredom of "Nostradamus" :Smug: