Revolution Renaissance

The drumming on the 'New Era' album is done by Mirka Rantanen (Thunderstone) - Bruno is the official drummer (didn't play on the album). I'd say i like over half of the album but it is nothing special

Musicwise, I think " A New Era" is just an O.K. album. The greatness of this album lies in the vocal performances (especially, the ones from Michael Kiske). Songs like "I Did It My Way", "Revolution Renaissance" or "Angel" wouldn't be that cool if it weren't for the vocals. The singers on this album are the ones that make it special. Tobias Sammet, Pasi Rantanen, and most of all, Michael Kiske, give that special ingredient to an album that, if it had been released under the Stratovarius name, it would've been one of their worst albums ever.

Proof of that is the demos version of "A New Era", with the Stratovarius line-up, and Timo Kotipelto on vocals: same music, different lyrics, Kotipelto's vocals: a totally forgettable album. "O.K." riffs, no lightspeed guitar solos, just mediocre licks, no keyboard solos at all, "O.K." drumming, "O.K." bass lines, you know, nothing special. Just a softer, poppier Stratovarius (I gotta say all this stuff is in the final version of the album, too).

So, as I said earlier, the vocals are the most enjoyable stuff of this album, and they're the ones taht made me love it, 'cause I do, so don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is a bad album. I mean, the songs are cool and catchy, and you will spend a nice time listening to this album. The vocalas are great and the production is fantastic, but don't expect an album like "Episode" or "Visions", the ones Tolkki says Revolution Renaissance is paying homage to, 'cause if you do, you'll get very disappointed. As I said, this is just a softer, poppier Stratovarius, but I can live with that, can you?

Wow I didn't know about that new Stratovarius news til just now

Timo Tolkki's an attention-seeking douchebag and I hope the rest of his projects just bomb horribly because of it

Everyone should listen to the new Michael Kiske's album, "Past in different ways". It's all the songs he wrote when he was in Helloween, with a semiacustic approach. It's very cool. I don't know how this dude keeps his voice in so good shape, cause he's not that young anymore, but he stills sings like a freaking god!!!

An immature reaction dude. Come on, we're all brothers in metal. :headbang:

Maybe the latter part, but no, I really think he's a douche

I was with him at first because there wasn't this whole retarded back-and-forth and he seemed like a fairly intelligent guy who knew what he was talking about but anymore I just don't believe him or care about it anymore, especially if he's marketing a book on the damn thing

I think Timo was going for a softer sound in his production of this album. Look on youtube and search Kotipelto Revolution and the strato RR demos will be there. There's a much harder edge to the songs and there's a lot more to the guitar solos. This only gives me hope that the next RR albums will be even better