Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands II

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
So does anyone else think this album is probably the most grand and Symphonic Metal album ever? I'm not talking best you have ever heard "music perference" wise...but this album really is like a movie put to music (or as they have called for years "Hollywood Metal"). Real film style orchestra, choirs, and finally a good narrator with Christopher Lee haha. Heck he even makes for some killer backing vocals!

I recently got the limited edition with the DVD and it kicks some major ass. I was surprised how well produced the DVD was even though it's tough to understand what they're saying sometimes (they're Italian and there are no sub-titles for their English). All in all though this is an awesome album and big time epic. I think I like Power of the Dragonflame more for its diversity but this new one should be a "must check out" for everyone. Thoughts?

Rhapsody's music is interesting... it's just too bad that their stories are laughable. Still, I enjoy most of their songs.

I love Rhapsody. The new album rules and yes its like motion picture on cd. Dawn of Victory and the first Symphony of Enchanted Lands are great albums as well. I hope they are still planning to tour North America with Manowar.

I would also add that this new disc is more "coherent" lyrics wise and I discovered that that is because they were very meticulous about getting assistance on the English grammar, etc.. the lyrics/storytelling on this album is no more corny than you would read in Lord of the Rings to be honest. I can only imagine how much this entire production cost these guys to make! Choirs, orchestras, 4 studios, producers, grammara consultant, narration producer, etc. etc. ...pretty crazy. I would bet to say it would be about half a million. Anyone read any interviews about costs?

Ewwwww, Rhapsody. "Power of the Dragonflame" is the only album ever to physically give me a headache. I'm not kidding.

its good, but i thought rain of a thousand flames was better. this new one sounds sorta weak. not enough fast stuff. one song actually sounded like somthin youd hear on a adult contemp/soft rock station! but there are definatly some killer tracks on there and as a whole, everything fits together very well, but i think rain of a thousand flames is better
~gR~

I liked both Dark Secret and SotEL2. I still liked the Avantasia Metal Opera a little more. Don't bother to ask why, Tobias Sammet's songwriting just..."does it for me"... I guess.

Well, he listened to it once in his car and didn't like it much. It lacks a lot of riffing, the solos are all the same, all the songs follow the same pattern, etc. He doesn't understand why people think it's their best.

Ah jeez, I downloaded this CD after reading this thread. I fuckin love it. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm gonna have to go buy it now :)

I don't understand why "hollywood metal" is so good to you guys. I think that when you're making music, music is important hehehe! Of course...the lyrics have to be good...but hey, we are talking about metal here....not cinema!! What I have noticed on this album is the same as you.....a lot of orchestral stuff, a story about something which I have not noticed yet....but no great guitar. In fact, what I have heard is a Symphonic orchestra with a drummer in it!!! That's what I disliked.....I might not be a "hollywood metal" fan...but I am a metal fan and I don't think this is great metal

{D|aBo|uS} said:
I don't understand why "hollywood metal" is so good to you guys. I think that when you're making music, music is important hehehe! Of course...the lyrics have to be good...but hey, we are talking about metal here....not cinema!! What I have noticed on this album is the same as you.....a lot of orchestral stuff, a story about something which I have not noticed yet....but no great guitar. In fact, what I have heard is a Symphonic orchestra with a drummer in it!!! That's what I disliked.....I might not be a "hollywood metal" fan...but I am a metal fan and I don't think this is great metal

Congratulations, you just downplayed the flower metal formula. :wave: :D

Silent Song said:
i don't get why you're so against 'flower metal' bro, 1/3 of the bands in your sig have 'flowery' moments.

Nope. Unless you sight one or two Black Sabbath songs and one Jag Panzer song (The Moors), which isn't 1/3, you're completely wrong.

My question is...what's wrong with flowers? Some have vicious thorns...and others have bees in them. That's fuckin metal right there.