Rhapsody

I bought the latest Rhapsody album just for curiosity's sake ( I don't really listen to Power metal that much) and I think It fucking sucks! There is near 60% of epic, speeches, ambience parts and about only 40% of metal parts. It's not badly played, it is actualy very well done, but it's just boring.

The best Power Metal I heard recently is for sure Sonata Arctica and also a 1998 album from Labyrinth, called Return To Heaven Denied, which is a great album. Fast, non-gayish vocals and superb musicianship.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic though. :)

Velvet Creation said:
I bought the latest Rhapsody album just for curiosity's sake ( I don't really listen to Power metal that much) and I think It fucking sucks! There is near 60% of epic, speeches, ambience parts and about only 40% of metal parts. It's not badly played, it is actualy very well done, but it's just boring.

What? You totally missed the whole point! that's the essences of the album, to create background which a lot of albums lack of. It's like a story they tell you almost.

Velvet Creationa said:
1998 album from Labyrinth, called Return To Heaven Denied, which is a great album. Fast, non-gayish vocals and superb musicianship.

I agree. That album is also quite unique and progressive in some parts, Labyrinth is the only band out of that Italian "flower metal" ilk that's worth a damn. Well, in 1998 they were at least.

Velvet Creation said:

The best Power Metal I heard recently is for sure Sonata Arctica and also a 1998 album from Labyrinth, called Return To Heaven Denied, which is a great album. Fast, non-gayish vocals and superb musicianship.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic though. :)

ok... im gonna give sonata artica another try, since i havent in like three years.

Noone will rip tracks for you but, hey, it's the Internet and I bet there are some songs posted on the band site and/or the label site.

FYI I thought the newest album was quite excellent!

Cool band in the studio, but they're messy live imo. Drummer can't handle the really fast double bass beats for long periods. Guitarist is great, though the whole band is a little "posy" on stage for my liking. I absolutely love Holy Thunderforce, Rage of the Winter and Eternal Glory. Thought last 2 albums were treading same ground. The Luca Turilli solo stuff is damn good too, but I guess its too similar to Rhapsody's own material at times. War of the Universe, Demonheart and the epic Prophet of the last eclipse are killer tunes to these ears.

Wings of a dream said:
What? You totally missed the whole point! that's the essences of the album, to create background which a lot of albums lack of. It's like a story they tell you almost.

I totally agree with you, and like I said the album is very well done, but plain boring for someone like me, who was looking for something more metal.

I do respect them since I think they are very unique, but uniqueness is not always a good thing if you know what I mean, ;)

Jean-Pierre said:
I agree. That album is also quite unique and progressive in some parts, Labyrinth is the only band out of that Italian "flower metal" ilk that's worth a damn. Well, in 1998 they were at least.

Yes, that album is amazing! But I never heard the other stuff. Besides, I heard their newest album is a pile of shit! Mixing progressive with nu-metal (??). But you know, taste is like butts, everyone has one, so one should listen to it and have a personal opinion and not rely on what others say.

.... and he never did.

Anyone, I'm bumping this because I want to see if anyone has an opinion on Rhapsody (of Fire). Two years ago I would have laughed at my future self if I ever sat around listening to this bollocks, but ever since I got back into fantasy books I thought I'd give the music a try.

I find Rhapsody of Fire generally very entertaining. And Luca Turilli's Rhapsody's 'Prometheus' album that came out this year is simply amazing and only a tiny bit comedic compared to the earlier material.

Thoughts? Experiences? Laughs?

i had a few of this bands albums years ago. hell if i remember the names. i know one had a dragon on the cover. anyway, they suck.

however, for some damn reason, i thoroughly enjoyed Fairylands albums.

i had a few of this bands albums years ago. hell if i remember the names. i know one had a dragon on the cover. anyway, they suck.

Yep, that's them.

For me it's pure nerdy escapism, but like I say, I've only come around to this level of nerdiness now that I'm in my mid 30s.

Edit: You're also a noob to this forum compared to me, as I joined 18 days before you did, albeit fourteen and a half years ago!

I remember Luca Turilli - King of the Nordic Twilight being kinda ridiculous and fun but Rhapsody and their ilk don't do much for me. Give me sword and sorcery traditional heavy metal over it, forever.