Rhythm and lead guitars - how do you do it?

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
This has probably been covered in some form or another in several posts, but after having looked through most of the guitar-related threads I'm really none the wiser.

Generally, I'd just like to know how everyone goes about tracking/mixing/panning a song that has rhythm and lead parts, particularly as regards to parts where (in an imaginary band with two guitarists, for instance) both players are playing the rhythm riff, and then one guitarist carries on playing the rhythm while the other guitarist does a lead part (whether that be a harmonised bit, a solo, whatever).

Also, how do EQ and compress leads to get them to sit well in the mix with the rhythms?

Up to now, I've been tracking four rhythms (L 100%, L 80%, R 80% and R 100%) and having another track reserved for lead parts, panned right up the centre. The problem is, and I know I'm probably missing something ridiculously obvious here, that as well as being utterly unable to find a lead tone / EQ recipe / compression setting that lets my leads complement the rhythms, I also have to contend with a volume spike when the leads come in.

Any help you guys could offer would be massively appreciated - I've been lurking and occasionally posting here since December 2004 now, and my mixes and stuff have come on in leaps and bounds mainly thanks to advice and tips from this forum.

What you're doing sounds fine, to fix the lead problem, try cutting out a bunch of lows and boosting something 3khz-7khz where you haven't boosted the rhythm guitars, to give the lead it's own place in the mix.

As for this,
Generally, I'd just like to know how everyone goes about tracking/mixing/panning a song that has rhythm and lead parts, particularly as regards to parts where (in an imaginary band with two guitarists, for instance) both players are playing the rhythm riff, and then one guitarist carries on playing the rhythm while the other guitarist does a lead part (whether that be a harmonised bit, a solo, whatever).

I think it depends on what you're going for. There are times when you want to have both players play exactly like they do live just with no doubling for that kind of feel, or sometimes where you double track everything and have everything vaugly lead on a different track panned centerish. I ALWAYS have solos as an overdub though. Other then that though I think it depends on the part. Maybe center if there's no vocals, otherwise keep it as a rhythm part, or at least pan it.

Found something for you. Not sure who said it. (Maybe Andy?)

"A/ Treat the lead like a vocal, try the same compression and boost around 1k ish. I usually put a bit more mid in the leads anyway.

Treat it like a vocal. You may need to stick a few more mids in there if you have the same sound as your rhythms. Compress around 4.1 (or maybe limit around 10.1, depends on how it sounds really) and try pulling rhythms back a db or so behind the solo and using a slight delay (400/500ms) just sat in there.
Make sure your in the same area level wise as your main vocal also, so listen from the vocals and balance that up.

Get the low end out of there also, filter up to 200hz, until you really start noticing it then go back a bit and maybe give it a lift around 900 and 3k, try offsetting it from the centre slightly, see if that helps"