Richard Andersson's Space Odyssey - The Astral Episode

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Richard Andersson's Space Odyssey - The Astral Episode
Regain Records - 2005
By Adam McAuley

theastralepisode_cover.jpg

The first thing that struck me about this album in contrast to the other one I've reviewed with the name Richard Andersson in it is the vocalist, who in this case sounds suprisingly like Ronnie James Dio, which I far prefer to the guy on the other album, so there's a positive point right from the start. There's also more of a classic metal feel to the album, linking it to that same man's albums to some extent, but it retains the progressive metal stylings of the other album as well.

The comparisons here are handy because I prefer the vocals and the catchiness of Astral Episode while the intracies of the Collection album undeniably stand out more. Chorus' abound with wonderful vocal harmonies, which is a really important factor in catching your attention and there is a very uplifting vibe present on the album. Track 8 is a bit of nice change of pace to the album with a medieval intro and chanting at one point. Overall, the album is a fun listen with no real standout features aside from perhaps the excellent vocalist.

But with a fairly short running length and an appealing sound, there's reason enough to give this version of Richard Andersson some solid listens as well. It isn't the musical opera that you might expect based on the band name and extravagant album title, but it is an enjoyable listen. Just don't expect to be blown away by any means. Again, it's some solid, but not showy, musicianship and the reminiscent vocals of Nils Patrik Johansson that make this stand out a bit for me.

7/10

Official Andersson Music Website
Official Regain Records Website

Fans of Nils Patrick Johansson should check out his other band, Astral Doors, which is even more like early Dio.