Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
SPACE ODYSSEY – EMBRACE THE GALAXY
Regain Records/The End Records - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

RR0309-035.jpg

Keyboardist Richard Andersson is back fronting yet another different band and this time its called Space Odyssey. Joining him is guitarist and co-founder of the band Magnus Nilsson, drummer Zoltan Csörsz, bassist Marcel Jacob and Patrik Johansson handles the singing. Their new release is titled Embrace the Galaxy and those of you familiar with Richard and the other groups he has been involved with (Majestic, Adagio and Time Requiem) will now what to expect with this release, a neoclassic progressive metal album.

The biggest question one may ask is how is this album different or how does it distinguish itself from the other bands with Richard? Well, the first would be that the guitar playing is much better and heavier than with other groups. In Magnus, Richard has found a guitarist that can complement and expand on his playing and sound. The immediate comparison might be to the classic 80’s metal sound. Another plus is that Richard’s keyboard sound is much better than in previous albums. This time they do not sound like they belong on some video game but rather they sound like they belong on a metal album. Zoltan and Marcel do a good job with what they have to work with, nothing totally extraordinary. Finally, Patrik has a rougher and more commanding voice than some of the other singers which makes Space Odyssey distinguish themselves from other bands.

So the talent and musicianship is there but my biggest gripe with Embrace the Galaxy is the fact that I just can not shake the feeling that I have heard all of this before. There is nothing too original or exciting to make me want to listen to the album more times. That being said, this is my favorite album that Richard has been involved with and it did grow a little on me with subsequent listens. There are some cool melodies and solos here and there but the overall feel is one of casual interest when it comes to my final overall feelings on this album.

No doubt fans of this sort of music and of Richard will find something to enjoy with it. I just want and ask for a little bit more originality when it comes to a band like this.

Regain Records Website
The End Records Website
Space Odyssey Official Website