Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
TIME REQUIEM - TIME REQUIEM
Regain Records North America/The End Records - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

timereq.jpg

Time Requiem is the latest project of keyboard player Richard Andersson (Majestic and Adagio) and the style of music one can expect from this sort of album is similar to all the bands Richard has played in, which is symphonic metal. Joining him in exploring his musical vision are two other former members of Majestic, singer Apollo Papathanasio and drummer Peter Wildoer (who also plays for Darkane), as well as bassist Dick Lovgren and guitarist Magnus Nordh.

As with other albums that Richard has played in, I cannot hide the fact that I just do not enjoy the sound of his keyboards. At times the melodies sound like they belong in a video game and not in a metal album. Another complaint is that musically Time Requiem does nothing to distinguish themselves from other bands in this genre, I swear that the verse sections of "Watching the Tower of Skies" is a total rip-off from a Symphony X song. This is really the main reason for not really getting excited on what is happening on the album. There is nothing fresh, new and exciting to keep my attention for the album's hour length. Also with such an excellent talent in Peter as your drummer, why is he not allowed more freedom to showcase his talent as he does with Darkane?

Undoubtedly fans of Richard's other bands and those of you who eat this sort of music up all the time will disagree with me. But for the rest of you this is an album to pass on. Plenty of other bands are more deserving of your attention.

Regain Records Website
The End Records Website
Richard Andersson Official Website