Richard West

Wounded Land

Sep 27, 2005
A Hotel Where Nobody Stays
Been on a bit of a Threshold kick lately after not listening to them in some time, and while I was spinning "Clone" last night, I was struck (again) by how good keyboardist Richard West is. His leads are instantly identifiable, with cool melodies and unpredictable turns to them. His patches are great, his "comping" and supporting parts are dope..._plus_ he's a fantastic songwriter. He's the total package! (He even sings backing vocals live...and very well, I might add)

Anybody else feel that Mr. West is _way_ underrated? Also, what other metal keyboardists are out there who have as distinct a sound as him? We talk a lot about great singers, guitarists, and drummers, but not a lot about keyboardists. Why is that?

NP: Threshold "Critical Mass"

Richard West is a good keyboard player and songwriter. I hope Threshold will get back into the studio soon so we can hear some new material.

They also need to get back here to the United States and play ProgPower VIII!!! Glenn, please bring them back.

Wounded Land said:
Anybody else feel that Mr. West is _way_ underrated? Also, what other metal keyboardists are out there who have as distinct a sound as him?

Jon Oliva and Michael Pinnella come to mind. I also loved the keyboards on "The First Chapter" from Circus Maximus -- can't wait to see the band (with their new keyboard player) at PP in September.

I'm not familiar with Threshold -- will have to check this out!

Vitalij Kuprij; keyboardist for Artension is incredible!!! Check this guys work out- he also has a bunch of solo discs that will blow your mind if you are into keys.

At first I was nervous when they said that West was doing ALL the lyrics for Subsurface before it came out..... I always like the fact that many of the guys contributed.....

After Subsurface??

He can write the lyrics for thyer whole next album and I will be just fine with it - Subsurface kicks ASS.
:headbang:

He's aces in my book.