Rick Hunolt's official statement

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
22 years,wow thats longer than alot of you have been alive. I'm sitting here writing this post and the last 22 years are racing through my head like you wouldnt believe.From the drive to Gary’s house the first time I ever played with Exodus in Gary’s moms garage,my very first gig at Wolfgangs with Loudness,all the gigs at Ruthies,The Mab,The Stone,The kabuki,etc,etc,etc, they just go on and on and on.

I feel so fortunate to be a part of something that started out as some guys playing their guitars as fast as we could ,to say playing in front of 80,000 people at Dynamo and touring all over the world doing what we loved to do.

Words cant describe the emotions I am feeling right now, one minute I am laughing the next I am sobing like a little baby this is by far the most difficult decision I have ever had to make,bar none.
But I look over to my right and see my 2 little boys Odin 3, & John 16 months sleeping and I know it is the right one.I just cant see myself being away from them anymore, I just can't.

Exodus deserves 110% from me and I just cant give them that anymore my boys need me.Like I said this is the hardest decision I have ever had to make and it is breaking my heart,I am crying so hard right now I can barely see what I am typing.I dont know in words how to show my appreciation to evey one that has supported me in the last 22 years,god, if I had to list them it would reach from S.F. to N.Y.

To all of the people that have helped us over the past 2 decades(you know who you are)we seriously couldnt have survived without you.And to the fans that I have cherished with all of my heart,thank you for 22 years of incredible memories and as I always said you were Exodus we were just five guys playing the music that we loved.

And to the band,you were my heart and soul for a long time we had some great times and played some great shows,I know you will find a shredder to replace me and I wish him the best of luck, and finally I would like to say to my brother Gary Holt,my partner in crime, my best friend who I love and respect with all of my heart you’ve put up with my sometimes flakey ways and everything else,you have always been there for me Gary,and you deserve more than I can give right now.
We have jumped every hurdle that they could throw at us and we still kept going .

We were the H TEAM and no one can take that away from us, we made our mark in history, that I am very proud of.The new material is killer and I hope the new album does well, but it is time to hang up my axe for now my boys need me.

MUCH LOVE AND RESPECT RICK HUNOLT

Sad but I respect his choice....I think it's a hard life for some of the bands that are not really on top of the Metal business... Bands like Exodus are indeed extremely good, but have to tour for the bucks, often members of alike bands even have "normal" jobs combined with playing music. So at one time family live won't cope with extensive touring and not getting rich as the "big" bands.
I've discussed this with Hawk before; wonder how much bands like let's say Overkill earn ?? Well, we guess they do earn a good living, can buy a house and nice car, but have to work damn hard for it and be away from home alot of the time !! Maybe Clammy can explain this better??
As hard as it is for fans, family live is the most important for some people, and I fully respect that...

carnut said:
I've discussed this with Hawk before; wonder how much bands like let's say Overkill earn ?? Well, we guess they do earn a good living, can buy a house and nice car, but have to work damn hard for it and be away from home alot of the time !! Maybe Clammy can explain this better??
Only Blitz and DD Verni earn a "good" (probably not that good) living in Overkill, the other guys are (permanent) hired guns. That's why they founded Speed Kill Hate to get their own thing going.

Fangface said:
Exodus will never be the same without Hunolt and Hunting... still I'm confident that Gary Holt has what it takes to put out a killer new album.

should there be a name change? No hunolt, no hunting, no baloff, no Zetro!
Unless they sound super similar, they should.

That is sad news, but I understand. have thought about that in my case as well. In conclusion, I plan to be only a local band.

carnut said:
As hard as it is for fans, family live is the most important for some people, and I fully respect that...

I dont know How much Overkill Make money wise ... but Blitz said this on the Wrecking Everything dvd "We make a living, we arent getting rich but we are making a living" and they seem satisfied with that ... they are a great band and a great bunch of guys and when you go see em live you can always count on a $50 dollar show for $10 bucks! ....

FangFace said:
Exodus will never be the same without Hunolt and Hunting... still I'm confident that Gary Holt has what it takes to put out a killer new album.
Agreed! I also dont think they will be the same without either Baloff or Souza on Vox!

JonnyD said:
Agreed! I also dont think they will be the same without either Baloff or Souza on Vox!

Well I hope to be better, I can't stand neither of them. :D

JonnyD said:
I dont know How much Overkill Make money wise ... but Blitz said this on the Wrecking Everything dvd "We make a living, we arent getting rich but we are making a living" and they seem satisfied with that ... they are a great band and a great bunch of guys and when you go see em live you can always count on a $50 dollar show for $10 bucks! ....

.... :cry: Steve's gone too???

yeah, they have got a new guy that supposedly sounds similar to baloff, but I can't believe until I hear. Probably just same style, but baloff was unique.