Riffbuilding?

Pdennis89

Jan 8, 2011
I imagine that, at least around these parts, riffbuilding is taboo of sorts. What I mean is taking samples of chugs and sometimes individual notes, chopping them and moving them around so that the riff, or breakdown generally, is super quantized and sounds sequenced. I'm recording a band to pay for the phone bill this month and they really suck. So the drums will be sampled obviously and the guitarist blows so ill need to riffbuild most of the breakdowns. Problem is I don't really know how to do it very well. I know Johnny Franck of Attack Attack, and The March Ahead uses this technique but I'm not sure how to do it and make it sound at least a little bit natural. Tips?

It may be taboo but most people here edit their guitars to some degree. Personally I'll only edit bits that are really off and bits that need to be tight (tight patterns when the bass/guitar/kick is playing in unison, for example).

Attack Attack was done by Joey, and IIRC he actually edits his guitars as he records. Record a couple notes, stop. Record the next two notes, quantize + fade, rinse repeat. This will get a better result.. if you record first and edit after you get artifacts from bits overlapping, not having enough note to stretch, etc.

Or I may have read your post wrong and you're talking about recording like one sample of each note and using a MIDI player to play them back, in which case I'll say no, the amount of work that would need to go into this to make it realistic is insane, and if you pulled it off you could sell it and make a ton of money.

everyone edits the guitar because the standards are really high nowdays and of course it's extremely hard to find a KILLER metal guitar player.
what you have to do is to create fades between every take carefully and experiment a lot with that basically,or moving the parts in time a litle bit so they will not sound "perfectly edited"if you know what i mean.
they key is to experiment a lot for this thing.

I know Joey did AA. Johnny was the guitarist of AA and now records bands. He recorded mine. Here's a track.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been doing this quite a lot these past few weeks. Lets say your recording a very choppy stop breakdown with lots of quick silences. I usually have the guitar record the riff by parts, then chop up the take following the picking pattern and snap it to the grid. then I bring back a couple of samples at the head of the cut to keep the attack....seems to work..i guess its the same as what Morgan mention Joey does.