circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Rigor Sardonicous – Apocalypsis Damnare
Paragon Records – PRG-23015 – August 16th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

rigor-ADcover.jpg

Not so much a “new” release as it is a re-recording of 1999’s Apocalypsis Damnare, this updated version sees both graphical enhancements and distribution by Paragon Records (known for Impiety). Rigor Sardonicous, on this recording, offer up forty-five minutes of funeral doom metal, which could ostracize droves of people before any of the music even registers. Despite catering to a narrow, specific audience, Apocalypsis Damnare avoids calamity by presenting redeeming qualities.

“Exordium” spearheads the album with its haunting organ ramblings, though it does serve as an introduction until heavier, more substantial numbers such as “Apocalypsis Damnare” and “Pandemic” arrive. It’s unnecessary to contemplate upon the meaning of funeral doom to know what this sounds like: sloooowwwww doom bursting with meaty vocals and proper instrumentation. Originally a two-piece, Rigor Sardonicous linked up with Steve Moran (bass, ex-Evoken) to re-record this slab. I’m a big fan of the double-bass patterns, which run amok on Apocalypsis Damnare, and the former occasionally brought Jayson Sherlocke’s (ex-Mortification, ex-Horde, ex-Paramaecium) style to mind. What I’m not a big fan of, though, is the static and fuzz that mar the recording, and from that complaint one is able to surmise that the production could use a lift. I’m surely not a funeral doom aficionado, but I do fancy reveling in it now and then, and Apocalypsis Damnare is a pretty good exemplification of the subgenre.

Just to mirror some of my previous statements, it’s difficult for me to get giddy about funeral doom, since it’s hardly ever within my sights, or grasp for that matter. Nonetheless, Rigor Sardonicous will satisfy those with a constant, insatiable craving for the shtick, and this is a must for owners of the original incarnation of Apocalypsis Damnare.

7/10

Official Rigor Sardonicous Website
Official Paragon Records Website

This is the slowest, heaviest, bleakest thing I have ever heard. :OMG:

DOOM BEYOND DOOM!!!! Makes My Dying Bride sound like Blink 182