RIP Dime

Oct 17, 2005
Kinnear, Wyoming
dimebag-1.jpg

August 20, 1966

December 8, 2004

I miss and love you dime. Your music has always been an inspiration to me since I was little. The world is a bit duller without you.

I'm going to post a story that I like to mention every year about Dime.

When it came to his fans, Dimebag was always glad to lend a hand.

Dimebag Darrell always treated his fans well because he was a fan himself. As his brother Vinnie put it, "Dime had a heart as big as Texas" and his admirers, more often than not, were the recipients of his generosity.

I recall one account of Dimebag's kindness, told to me in the mid Nineties shortly after Far Beyond Driven had come out, by the owner of a music store.

"I was there to perform a clinic for Marshall Amplification, just a few days after Dime had given an in-store autograph session at the shop. Among the hundreds of people at Dime's apperance, was a boy in his early teens who attended with his dad. As Dimebag obligingly autographed the kids CDs, posters and photo's, the boy told Darrell he was the reason he wanted to play guitar.

"Cool!" said Dime, "What sort of Ax do you have?"

The boy replied that he didn't have a guitar yet, but his dad was saving up to buy him one for Christmas. Noting that it was the middle of the summer, Dime joked with the father: "C'mon, dad! You can't leave your boy hangin'. How about an early Christmas this year?"

The father then quietly explained that he recently lost his job and was putting away whatever he could for the gift.

After posing for photo's with the boy and his father, Dime casually beckoned a store manager and, whispering in his ear, told him to ask the boy and his father to hang out until after the event because Dime has a special picture he wanted to sign for them.

After the public has left, Dimebag asked the manager to pick out the best starter electric guitar in the store because he'd like to buy it. Dime then took the boy and his father back to the manager's office, away from the staff, and presented the guitar to them.

"Merry Christmas!" he told the boy.

"Start practicing now, because next time i roll through town, we're jamming!"

It was like Dime not to make a show of his generosity or call attention to what might have been an embarrassing plight for the father.

A few weeks after the clinic, I saw Diembag and asked him about the incident, he shrugged.

"The kid and his dad were way cool, so I just had to help 'em out. It didn't cost me much, and hell, who knows? He could wind up being the next Eddie Van Halen.

"Typical Dime". God bless him.

That picture has been around for awhile stormo and I'm not obsessed. I'm posting in rememberance, and as a fan. This morning I'm going to break out my vulgar home videos and watch them! Only seen it once so if i was obsessed over Dime i probably would of seen it more then once. I borrowed it from a friend because I don't own it :Smug:

I still maintain that The Great Southern Trendkill was a fantastic album full of amazing dynamics and the best songwriting the band ever did. I didn't know Abbott personally, so I can't really comment on what sort of a guy he was.

The dood acomplished a lot over his time, was no slouch of a guitar player,along with being a wild man and played on more stages to more people around the world than 99.99999% of anyone who posts here. Respect is given by me anyhoo's. To be shot dead on stage in some bum fuck Ohio town.. gaah shitty shitty deal. :(