RIP Isaac Hayes

Didnt know him as a 70's performer, just knew him as the voice of "chef" from south park....
RIP

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's a bugger. No chance of a reconciliation with the SP guys now. I'm sure L Ron has guaranteed him something cool upstairs though.

I hadn't, but I don't listen to the kind of music he produced. Was he very prolific in the 80s and 90s?

I think (and I know I will be readily corrected here if I'm wrong) he's a lot more famous for work that he did in the sixties and seventies. Don't know if you're familiar with any old soul stuff, but he co-wrote Hold on I'm coming and Soul Man. He's most famous for the soundtrack to shaft, and he won an oscar for it I believe. (Not sure if it was for the whole soundtrack or just for Best Song). He also starred in an episode of The A Team alongside Rick James. :D

Yeah, he won an Oscar for Best Original Song for "Theme from Shaft" (and got a nomination for the score, losing to "Summer of '42", a film I know nothing about). The other nominees for Best Original Song that year were:

"The Age of Not Believing" from "Bedknobs & Broomsticks"
"Bless the Beasts and the Children" from "Bless the Beasts and the Children"
"Life Is What You Make It" from "Kotch"
"All His Children" from "Sometimes a Great Notion"

Classics, all of them. Hmm. But then, some of the other nominees were Johnny Mercer and Henry Mancini, so that's something I guess.