RIP Jeff Hanneman

2 down. This kinda sucks

LAYER is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning (May 2nd) near his Southern California home. He was 49. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

BraveWords is in a state of shock with this news and we offer condolences to Hanneman's family, friends and legion of fans.

Slayer singer Tom Araya spoke with Andrew Haug from AndrewHaug.com - Australia's Only Dedicated 24/7 Rock-Metal Station - at the Melbourne stop of Soundwave 2013. He was asked about the status of guitarist Jeff Hanneman, who was hospitalized in early 2011 with necrotizing fasciitis (likely rooted in a spider bite). The band has since enlisted EXODUS' Gary Holt for live shows.

"Even though he's not in the picture, he's still part of the picture," Araya said. "It's taken him a lot longer than he even thought. He can play and he can work out the material but… It's like everything else, depending on how you are health-wise as a person, that affects how you heal. Even though you haven't seen him live, he's still part of the band."

http://www.bravewords.com/news/203352

EDIT: Zeph and I posted this at the exact same time. Unreal.

Threads merged.

Slayer got me into extreme metal in the first place...

Jesus fucking Christ! Rest in peace brother. Rest in peace.

If Westboro Baptist Church decides to pull some stunt at his funeral (the way they did/planned on doing with Dio) I'll kill those fucks!

Damn, RIP

I wonder if the liver failure was a result of something involving that nasty spider bite he had some time ago

I remember me and a friend spinning Hell Awaits on vinyl after the parents had gone to bed knowing they would destroy it if we got caught. I'm proud Slayer was a gateway band for me back in the 80's. Thanks for all of it, Jeff. R.I.P.