RIP Jeff Hanneman

MetalliFan

Amateur Headbanger
Mar 20, 2013
Check your basement
"SLAYER is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning (May 2nd) near his Southern California home. He was 49. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed."

http://www.bravewords.com/news/203352]

At least now Kerry King will get a bigger share of Slayer's earnings.
/fucking rage induced assholery...

All bitterness aside, its a huge loss for metal and music in general. He was really the genius behind Slayer and he will be sorely missed.

This really blows :( going to be listening to a lot of Slayer. Nearly all my favorite tracks were written by him (Psychopathy Red being my all time favorite, written completely by him)

Is it wrong that I'm irritated that Hanneman died to liver failure? I know, a big loss and all, but I figure if he were to go at such a young age it would be to that spider bite... a damn shame...

At least now Kerry King will get a bigger share of Slayer's earnings.

:lol: I liked that joke.

It's a sad day for heavy metal.

Sadly i never got to meet him, but after Mike passed away Slayer sent us that amazing Slayer Motorbike helmet for us to raffle off and before that point i didn't think i could respect Slayer any more than i did, but that kind gesture made it happen, and it felt like a great connection, sadly that's the best connection i can now hope for with a founding member of one of the greatest metal bands in the world.

Having never met him I can't speak to his character much but always got the impression he loved what he did and was heavy metal through and through and what came across of him as a person i liked, he never ever seemed like a "rock star", just a guy in a band who enjoys metal, guitars, the raiders and heineken and to keep his character through all the years and successes Slayer have had says a lot of good things about him as a person i think.

I first got into Slayer in 1998, i was 17, and i was helping out in a shop called Rocks Off in Bradford and i found a cassette that had Slayer, System of a Down and Clutch on it, i played the Slayer track - Stain of Mind repeatedly (system of a down maybe once, but i've grown to really like them) as i was a couple of years into your typical "metallica phase" and to hear this band who were heavier and more aggressive than metallica blew my mind (come on - i was 17) and i wasn't even aware of the existence of Reign in Blood or Seasons in the Abyss yet!! So i went kind of backwards in getting into Slayer, i got the album Diabolus In Musica straight away and loved it, Bitter Peace absolutely blasted my face off) as i was still just starting to get into thrash metal i didn't know too much about it so this was about as far as i had gotten with my metal journey at that point, so that album has a special place for me, it's far from their best, but it was my first Slayer experience, it was my gateway into their world.

Then i did my research into this "new" band i had come across and found out they had been going since 1981 and had all these albums i had to get straight away! I went out and bought them ALL and started at the beginning and in the space of one afternoon i heard a band grow through nearly 20 years into something truly special and it left a huge impression on me. Reign in Blood, what more is there to say about that album? A true classic. A life changer. Ever since that point i haven't found a band who inspire THAT feeling you get when you hear Slayer, and across all of their albums most of the really good stuff is Jeffs. We have been given some great stuff by the man, a lot of it has shaped people's lives.

I'm proud to be a Slayer fan. RIP Jeff Hanneman.

THE Slayer guitarist, he was the special, sick ingredient that made their music so unique. It is perhaps only now that the world will fully appreciate this man's huge influence in every extreme genre of music.

RIP. Really did not see this one coming and this is one of the people REALLY close to home, Slayer was a huge part of my growing up.

...and RIP Slayer.

...I wrote this exactly two months ago when the Lombardo/King thing came up.

"Here is the list with Kerry King's finest moments:
Evil Has No Boundaries, Show No Mercy, Praise of Death, Expendable Youth, Skeletons of Society.

A fine list to be sure.

Jeff Hanneman wrote Angel of Death. He also wrote Raining Blood. He also wrote South of Heaven. Dead Skin Mask, Blood Red and Seasons in the Abyss. He wrote Die by the Sword. Even Disciple is his.
The rest of the old Slayer classics are Hanneman/King compositions.

Notice a slight difference in significance?"

...and I even left out War Ensemble. And Postmortem. And he wrote THAT Black Magic riff.

Truly, one of the most influential thrash, metal and rock musicians.

I was actually browsing facebook last night at the time Slayer posted the announcement - I couldn't believe it, I just wasn't expecting it?! The guy had been through a lot in recent years, what with the spider bite/flesh eating virus and all... and then - so sad.

Kudos to Matt and Vic for their posts. RIP Jeff Hanneman - and long live his, and Slayer's legacy.

Always respected Hanneman more than any other member of the band and fucking loved his work (even on their shittier albums). To say I'm feeling extremely depressed right now would be an understatement. I just want to fucking cry.

So glad I got to witness him live, really. What an unexpected and fucking shitty turn of events. Full Thrash Assault is now all about him as far as I'm concerned.

^ Same here. It's been my favorite musician of Slayer. Kerry King just went totally into an arrogant asshole. Also firing Dave Lombardo was just so spineless and self satisfied. Also he stated in an interview that they're glad they fired him and the new drummer is much better. Fuckin dick. I don't know what happened with this band, really. But as I read yesterday that Jeff Hanneman passed away I was just deep shocked.
I couldn't really believe it.
But what I've read he recovered from his Spider bite very well. But I don't know if this is even true or not. There was along time no clear information about what he's actually doing.
BUT this is really a hard loss for Heavy Metal in general. I still remember when I saw Slayer back in 2008.
I was totally freakin out and stagedived and I believe as I was over the crowd Jeff looked down to me a very short time. That was a great feelin though it was a totally fucked up shit November day with horrible weather and I also got very sick after that show. But this moment made it worth while. He means alot to me anyhow.
Iam not a fan of their newer stuff so much anymore although but I think he was a driving force in the band and without him there is DEFINITLY no Slayer again.

R.I.P. Jeff..

946980_10151600201199697_615948835_n.jpg

Mr. Joel Graham can back me up on the fact that Full Thrash Assault yesterday was all about him, in it's fucking entirety. Shrapnel doing a killer cover of The Antichrist (which pissed me off a bit because WE were going to record that later this year!) and Warlord UK doing Raining Blood that resulted in a huge pit. Slayer shirts and Hanneman chants everywhere, can't think of a more fitting tribute.

Man, I'm still really bummed out by this news. I saw Slayer on two separate tours here in Australia ('11 & '13) and still never got to see him in the flesh. Sucks for me also because it's only been about a year since I have *seriously* started getting into the band. RIP,Jeff