Ripper Owens Is Now Available

vmr907

Jun 19, 2005
Estado de Euforia
Anyone see the John Shaffer has announced that Matt Barlow is back in Iced Earth, and Ripper Owens is out? I know that a lot of people have previously said that he doesn't fit the style of the band...but I beg to differ. Listening to some of the things he did on Judas Priest's Demolition album (one on one, feed on me), some assorted songs on the Beyond Fear album, plus other covers he's recorded, his registry would sound awesome singing any era of Anthrax.

Aside from getting John Bush back, he would sound better in the band than Whit Crane, or any of the ham n' eggers that have been rumored/mentioned....just my 2 cents.

It has been mentioned on here by us huge IE fans. Anthrax has already found a singer. Ripper will probably focus on Beyond Fear. I'm interested to see what else he does though.

Let's not forget that Tim sung with Scott at the Dimebag tribute earlier this year. How do we not know that Tim leaving IE or being kicked out has to do with his involvement with Anthrax? Anthrax with Ripper sells more albums than Anthrax with an unknown singer. Looking at their track record with Paul Crook, Rob, & Joey Vera, everyone that has been a member of this band was known somewhat in the music circle, not to mention all of the other names that have rumored. Why would they deviate from that now?

Until an official announcement has been made, nothing is final, and rumors are just that...rumors! Since the reissues of Sound of, 442 will be the 18th, don't be surprised if they try drumming up additional sales by mentioning this on or around the reissues are released.

I have just gotten into Iced Earth a year or so ago after hearing "The Glorious Burden" and I love the new one too. I just wish that Ripper would have done pt.2 also. I'm going to find some Matt Barlow stuff tomorrow and check it out. What are some of the best songs to look for?

I only got into them because of Ripper, I purchased the IE boxed set just to get my hands on tribute to the gods, and didn't really care for anything else. The only other album without Ripper that I enjoy is Horror Show, but due to the fact that they've had more singers than Spinal Tap has had drummers, I'm not sure who actually sung on the album.

IMO Gettysburg is the best thing IE ever released...I don't think Barlow would be able to do it justice.

first off they have a new singer already.

secondly whitefield crane would fit way better because ripper wouldn't sound too good on the bush era songs

finally tim owens is still in beyond fear plus just reformed winters bane

Well I apologize for not being up to speed on the new singer! The only thing I'm saying (with my Tony Donato reference) is that Sabbath once did something similar (actually more than once for them), when they realized that no one would buy an album with this guy they canned him. He lasted two weeks!

I know that I'll buy the next album no matter who the singer is, at the same time I also know that they'll sell more albums with Ripper, and that's a fact. There is going to be a big percentage of fans that are going to be turned off by them going through another singer, an unknown one for that matter. Anyone remember Blaze Bayley? Ok, some people knew him before hand. Having Ripper in the band would get a good percentage of people within the metal community to at least give the band another shot, since its something they are familiar with. There would at least be curiosity factor involved to see what the combination will sound like.

The Winters Bane thing is just a rumor so far, and in my opinion until there is an official press release, or announcement on the homepage, or on `thrax's My Space page, nothing is official.

Dan is even fresher blood. And he seems like a very nice guy. I´m happy the offered the spot to someone new and exciting. Though Crane and maybe Ripper would have been good choices.

Based on the songs posted online his upper registry sounds like Bush, the lower sounds very radio friendly IMO.

Anthrax with Ripper sells more albums than Anthrax with an unknown singer. Looking at their track record with Paul Crook, Rob, & Joey Vera, everyone that has been a member of this band was known somewhat in the music circle, not to mention all of the other names that have rumored. Why would they deviate from that now?
You think? First time I'd ever heard of Rob, was when I bought WCFYA. He wasn't all THAT well known obviously. Maybe in some circles, but not globally. From what I've heard, I'd rather have Dan (the new guy) than Ripper Owens TBH.

You think? First time I'd ever heard of Rob, was when I bought WCFYA. He wasn't all THAT well known obviously. Maybe in some circles, but not globally. From what I've heard, I'd rather have Dan (the new guy) than Ripper Owens TBH.

I agree with you, he was known more for his production work, than as a musician.

^
I don't know where people get that! Yes, they both have gruff voices, but Dan's is definitely different. I could tell John and Dan apart when I first heard a clip from Dan's old band then some Anthrax stuff w/ John. Maybe I'm just weird? I mean, there's definitely SIMILARITIES, but to say he's a photocopy is a bit of a stretch to me...