'Ripper' to sing unreleased Dio songs

kuier

Glam Overlorde of Spandex
Jan 24, 2006
Africa's Crotch
www.snakenet.com
According to our friend Joe Siegler from Black-Sabbath.com, TIM 'RIPPER' OWENS (HAIL!, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, BEYOND FEAR, ex-JUDAS PRIEST, ICED EARTH) will be singing in place of RONNIE JAMES DIO (BLACK SABBATH, DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, RAINBOW, ELF) on some unreleased Dio material the Dio band is going to be recording. Apparently bassist Rudy Sarzo and guitarist Craig Goldy were given permission by Wendy Dio to go through Ronnie's computer looking for music they can record.

Hopefully under another name.

If (god forbid) it was Rob in question then he'd obviously be the best choice, but this...
Not only that Ripper has absolutely nothing in common with late Dio's style, he's lightyears behind Dio when it comes to singing emotionally and being as expressive.

Have they ever heard of Tony Martin?! :rolleyes:
I see no better man for the job.

If (god forbid) it was Rob in question then he'd obviously be the best choice, but this...
Not only that Ripper has absolutely nothing in common with late Dio's style, he's lightyears behind Dio when it comes to singing emotionally and being as expressive.

Have they ever heard of Tony Martin?! :rolleyes:
I see no better man for the job.

the best man for the job, ronnie's best friend and favorite vocalist paul shortino. also tony martins voice is pretty shot now

He's really good, but I was aiming more towards someone with similar style to Dio's.

Wasn't aware of that... But the stuff he released with BS is just godly :worship:

i was just told his voice is gone. i'm sure youtube can prove if its true or not.

yes tony martin sounds a lot like dio but having a friend of dio perform them is probably a better idea. shortino was managed by wendy dio when he was in the band rough cutt, ronnie and wendy helped rough cutt write a few tunes, ronnie took them out on tour as an opening band, ronnie had paul sing on that heavy metal charity tune, wendy personally asked paul to come play a tune and share some thoughts at the dio tribute memorial, paul use to live with wendy and ronnie

Yeah I already have read the news on another board so I'm gonna paste here my answers there:

Wyvern said:
Reaper's Blade said:
was just reading that Tim "Ripper" Owens was given permission by Wendy Dio to record stuff that has so far been unrecorded for a future Dio release. apparently the band members of Dio were actually the ones that got permission, but they want Ripper to do the vocals. NOBODY should sing on Dio material but Dio imo, so i'm not too keen on this. what's everyone here's thoughts?

Actaully I don't have an issue based on two facts:

a) I love Tim vocals.
b) He's not ripping off Dio, just singing songs composed by him. If you see Owens career he has always been a gun for hire (Judas Priest, Iced Earth, Yngwie Malmsteen, Charred Walls Of The Damned). Kinda like Metal Church when they played Vanderhoof compositions even if trhe guy didn't play in the albums or live.

I'll like to see the final product and then have more food for thought.
Wyvern said:
metalnightmare said:
Reaper's Blade said:
see i don't mind his vocals at times, but the fact that he (imo) sounds like a Halford wannabe is what irks me.

Well, in his defense he WAS picked up by Judas Priest mainly because he was in a JP cover band. And originally they were going to choose Ralf Scheepers.... who also sounds a lot like Halford at times.

Actually Scheepers sounds more like Halford than Owens IMO. More than once I'm playing a Primal Fear album in the gym and wonder which Halford albums is this? :lol
Wyvern said:
WitchesBrew said:
If anybody where to sing Dio compositions, it should be the ASTRAL DOORS vocalist.

I agree to the extend that Nils Patrick Johanssen in a Dio dead ringer, but the point at hand is that the members of the band want to keep playing using compositions never before sung or recorded by Dio with Tim Owens. What's the big fuzz? Worst case scenario the songs are crap and not even Owen's vocals can save them.

i have to agree scheepers sounds much more like halford than owens does plus scheepers new solo album is great

Sickboy, try this track on. Ever since Framing Armageddon came out, I've though Ripper sounded almost exactly like Dio on this. And it rules.

Incidentally, about Ripper, someone give this man a good job for cripe sake. I'm still kind of mad at Jon Schaefer for kicking him out of IE, as Framing Armageddon was a monster record.

Last edited by a moderator:
only problem is i had to listen to scheepers solo album online. i want to buy but everywhere is sold out. FYE, barnes and noble, best buy and cdnow all have it backordered.

it was a pretty big hassle to get the new mr. big and hurtsmile too. this was really frontiers records first big releases of their new EMI distribution deal so maybe there were a few kinks in the system the first time out. i hope its not this hard to get stuff later in the year when frontiers releases new stuff by whitesnake, king kobra and sebastian bach

I'm still kind of mad at Jon Schaefer for kicking him out of IE, as Framing Armageddon was a monster record.

I agree totally on both counts.

i have to agree scheepers sounds much more like halford than owens does plus scheepers new solo album is great

It is? I've been told is just a Primal Fear album by other name, gonna download to check then.

the best man for the job, ronnie's best friend and favorite vocalist paul shortino. also tony martins voice is pretty shot now

Martin's voice is shot? Since when? Did you hear the track he sings on the new STAR ONE-Victims Of The Modern Age? The track is called Clost To The Stars and is on the bonus CD. Martin's voice is great and not shot at all. And I heard some bootleg stuff from his latest solo tour on which he sounded very good too. Yes, live he was sometimes hit or miss, but in the studio, he'd surely do a great job with these Dio tracks. But it'll never happen as Dio never seemed to have a high opinion on Martin for some reason as it seems. So, it was unlikely that Wendy would give him a call obviously.

Tony Martin is supposed to be working on a new solo CD as well as on a new album with the Giuntini Project.

ITunes or Emusic is where I get my Frontiers stuff.

only problem is i had to listen to scheepers solo album online. i want to buy but everywhere is sold out. FYE, barnes and noble, best buy and cdnow all have it backordered.

it was a pretty big hassle to get the new mr. big and hurtsmile too. this was really frontiers records first big releases of their new EMI distribution deal so maybe there were a few kinks in the system the first time out. i hope its not this hard to get stuff later in the year when frontiers releases new stuff by whitesnake, king kobra and sebastian bach

yes thats basically what it is. a new primal fear album

I downloaded along with the new Benedictum (also on Frontier records) earlier. Put it on the iPod for future checking. Not sure what's the point in a Primal Fear album under the singer moniker, kinda like a Motorhead album going by Lemmy :guh:

I didn't know CDNow still exists (I knew Amazon absorbed it long ago), what's weird is that Benedictum is scheduled at CDUniverse but Scheepers is not listed. I prefer them over Amazon, they have screwed hauls in the past.

I downloaded along with the new Benedictum (also on Frontier records) earlier. Put it on the iPod for future checking. Not sure what's the point in a Primal Fear album under the singer moniker, kinda like a Motorhead album going by Lemmy :guh:

I didn't know CDNow still exists (I knew Amazon absorbed it long ago), what's weird is that Benedictum is scheduled at CDUniverse but Scheepers is not listed. I prefer them over Amazon, they have screwed hauls in the past.

here is the scheepers album listed at cduniverse.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8439554