Ripper Owens to sing unreleased DIO material...

And you don't try and make a living yourself?

May when it is out they can all go on That Metal Show and do another infomercial and call it a Dio Tribute Special.
Maybe I'm just cynical but I think it just comes down to that person who owns the publishing is doing it to make some money.

i guess my issue is how quickly they are putting stuff out. Legacy, to me, is something over time but i mean all the stuff they have done since his death just seems very "exploitative." i am all for them doing the things they are doing but how about a battle plan over the next 5 years rather than an onslaught of merchandise in the year the since his passing.

I think Wendy Dio is being given a hard time. She, obviously, was married to Ronnie for a number of years and was his manager. I think she genuinely loved Ronnie and feels that his legacy should live on. Plus, people grieve in different ways. Part of her healing process may be to allow Ronnie's music to continue. That may have been her train of thought when she allowed the release of the other memorabilia. It isn't like they were strapped for cash. She just wants his legacy to carry on.

I would like to compare what Wendy is doing now to what Sharon Osbourne will be doing when Ozzy passes.

Ripper is more diverse than people think.

Plus, which is better:

- Letting Ronnie's music and ideas rot on a hard drive

OR

- Allowing the actual DIO band access to the songs they would have played anyway to keep Ronnie's memory alive

Ripper is melodic, powerful, and distinctive and I think he'd do a good job...

well said, and my opinion word for word. I like to believe that this is what Ronnie would want - for his music and lyrics to be recorded by a comparable and capable frontman with the musicians he last worked with (solo) for the whole world to hear.

If this happens, I plan to purchase a copy in memory of Dio - one of the first 'true metal' singers/songwriters I discovered on this journey. He was a true inspiration in my youth. I loved him, respected him, and I truly regret I never got to meet him. :erk:

i guess my issue is how quickly they are putting stuff out. Legacy, to me, is something over time but i mean all the stuff they have done since his death just seems very "exploitative." i am all for them doing the things they are doing but how about a battle plan over the next 5 years rather than an onslaught of merchandise in the year the since his passing.

from what I gathered from the thread I opened a while back the idea of a legacy is not well understood here. I believe I was pretty much saying the same thing.
Here is another idea; she could pickle him in a jar like a fetus in a 19th century carnival and tour around the world with it that will make her money too. It would not take that big of a jar.

I believe Piggy directed the band to use them before he died. If anything, both Piggy and Ronnie were proactive with regard to their respective legacies. :headbang:

I am asking because I don't know...how long did the surviving members of Voivod wait before taking Piggy's recorded tracks and making albums with them?

I guess I fall into the "rather see them used than not" category. I do like Ripper, and while I can't exactly imagine how it's going to sound, I'll give it a listen. The purists will slam it, no matter who other than RJD sings them, so it really doesn't matter.

To those of you that don't like Ripper doing them....who would you pick? Please don't say Jorn.

Don't miss next week's episode of "The Replacement Singer" in which Tim attempts to fill the place of a legend...

Ok, not to be an asshole, but isn't your username from a Primal Fear album of the same title? Didn't Scheepers ALSO audition for Judas Priest and lost it to Owens? Hell, Scheepers is even more of a Halford clone than Ripper, in look and vocal ability.

Ok, not to be an asshole, but isn't your username from a Primal Fear album of the same title? Didn't Scheepers ALSO audition for Judas Priest and lost it to Owens? Hell, Scheepers is even more of a Halford clone than Ripper, in look and vocal ability.

:)

My post was supposed to be funny/sarcastic. Yes, Ralph did audition and lost it to Tim. I am glad that it went that way because now we have Primal Fear!