Roadrunner and the beginnings of metal...

opinions and tastes are like assholes.
I'm a firm believer that there are two kinds of opinions -- personal opinions (which are everywhere) and expert opinions. Anyone can have a pesonal opinion about something, and it doesn't mean much, if anything. Expert opinions are a different matter. Example: Who's opinion about cymbal technology would you trust more: A non-musician who owns every Rush album, or Neil Peart?

Well, this has simply to do with arguments to back up your opinion. It is not about persuasion, but about objective facts, which - in this example - would go in favor of the active musician who knows his drums.

As far as reviews go, I think there is no such thing as an expert. It is all taste, even though you can objectively assess the components that make out a band and their record. Still, the piece of art as whole will please the ones and abhor the others. YOu can listen to the expert who advises you not to go for Trivium, but get Metallica's old records instead; you can also not listen to him and have fun with Trivium as a young person for whom metal is an exciting novelty. So what's right and wrong, and where are the merits of experts in the field of subjective feelings? It's not that easy, I think.